rca 31" tv

I have learned more than alot of you have learned on this site. I have people calling me from all over the country asking me to go work for them because when I do something I do it right and I don`t set here on forums telling customers to go out and fix the smp`s when they don`t even now where the HOT is at. How can people like that do a top quality repair on there own tv ?????

When you are setting here on the forums telling cunsumers how to fix there own things then you are not much of a tech because all your doing is putting these people at risk of getting a bad shock or even much worse and your not supporting your own shop and services. I will never go out on any forum and do that to amnyone that doesn`t know the first thing about tv repairs. Wake up guys your killing your own business. No wonder there are shops closing everyday with poeple like you guys working in them.

Reply to
tvguy

So, why are you here? Most of us come to share information and to learn. You don't want to share information with consumers, and usenet groups certainly will be accessed by people with all levels of skill. So why would you post here. Are you on a crusade to keep techs who want to help people from doing so?

You obviously miss the point and have a lot of anger and paranoia about the repair business. While you are welcome to vent your opinion, I must point out that you are looking pretty silly right now. There are a number of very good techs here who do very high quality work and are not afraid to share their experience with a few do-it-yourself types. Most of us grew up in do-it-yourself homes. That is largely what led us down the path to developing the skills that we have.

Get over it.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I don`t mind sharing my knowledge with another tech on a problem he has or even to help a consumer if he does have some knowledge of repairs but when you all set here on this forum like in this post when the guy stated he doen`t even know what or where the horizontal output is and all of you are still telling him to change the caps in the smps doesn`t make sence to me. Why tell him to do something when he can`t even find the buldged blue caps that was sugested to be next to the horizontal output. Plus if he starts messing with the powersupply on this 169 he can come out with more problems if he doen`t know what he is doing so my suggestion on this post of helping him was just have him change out the parts that are most likely to be his problem and then if there was still a problem and was determind to be in the powersupply then fine but I would only suggest that if he is going to do that without any experience then just take it to the local repairman and have it done....

Reply to
tvguy

When you are setting here on the forums telling cunsumers how to fix there own things then you are not much of a tech because all your doing is putting these people at risk of getting a bad shock or even much worse and your not supporting your own shop and services. I will never go out on any forum and do that to amnyone that doesn`t know the first thing about tv repairs. Wake up guys your killing your own business. No wonder there are shops closing everyday with people like you guys working in them.

Its to late .. many people tinker with all sorts of electical appliances If they at least inquire here they will learn how to better not get shocked . Repair shop business is not failing because average people are fixing a few tv sets . Its failing because of the low cost of buying new and used replacement appliances ....along with some shops high repair charges and or the high cost of some parts these days .

Reply to
Ken G.

It is hard to take you seriously when you make the statement

"Wake up guys your killing your own business. No wonder there are shops closing everyday..."

in one paragraph, then say

"Repair shop business is not failing because average people are fixing a few tv sets."

I think your second paragraph is correct. On the matter of sharing advice with non-techs, I can't see where you suggest drawing the line. How do you decide who is qualified to get advice? There are lots of techs out there who know a lot less than many really smart do-it-yourselfers. If you feel that strongly that consumers should not have access to advice on fixing things, then we should not discuss it at all on a public forum. There are lots of private lists and forums for techs if that is what you prefer. I use them all the time. This debate is going on in the TechAssist list right now. Frankly, I don't see where it does our industry any good to be closed in terms of information. The manufacturers are doing that to us, just like you suggest doing it to consumers. I vote for open forums and for supporting companies like Hitachi, who are open with support.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Where do you find a 1 Million Watt resistor in the first place? ;-)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don`t care what you all say. I will stand by what I have said right from the begining. When you got people coming on this forum and are directed right to the problem and told what to look for and how to look for it like a simple tuner or telling them where to look for a horizontal output in plain enmglish then they shouldn`t be taking the back off of any set and trying to fix it. There are many write ups on the net to be able to give these people the fundamentals of basic electronics and I would think that they should be reading that before they attempt to open a set up and working on it or atleast go to work at the repairshop in there spare time to learn. As for the

169 chassis it is a bitch to work on it if you don`t understand it. Beleive me we all had a problem with those chassis untill we got to know them and sending someone in to fix this chassis not knowing what to look for is just asking for trouble. As for someone saying about tips are all over the internet then I guess you guys don`t do much trouble shooting besides doing a google search hoping to come up with the fix or hoping that someone on one of these forums would have the fix for you. What did you all do before there was internet with all these resources?
Reply to
tvguy

tvguy wrote:

I was a TV tech, starting 40 years ago. Some shops traded information, and some didn't. We would loan each other service manuals, loan each other parts that were not in stock at the local parts house, and sometimes we loaned out test equipment. The ones who did this made more money than the shops that didn't help other shops. Also, we sold a LOT of parts over the counter for TVs, Radios, Audio equipment, and we would special order any part someone requested, as long as we knew where to get it, and they paid a reasonable deposit.

When shop started to die off, the ones who had your attitude were the first to die.

I was 13 when I started working part time in a TV shop, after bugging the owner and tech with questions for a couple years, and buying parts from them. Yes, I was one of those DIYer's that you despise. Then I was drafted in '72 and tested out of a three year electronics school to become a broadcast engineer. After I got my honorable discharge, I went back to TV repair for two more years, then started my own company to repair school equipment, two way radios, high power guitar amps, and industrial electronics. Later, I was an engineer at two more TV stations, and did consulting work for a number of AM and FM radio stations. My last job before becoming 100% disabled I worked on high ticket Telemetry equipment in the US $20,000 to $80,000 per radio range. I worked on NOAA's new ground station that is at Wallop's Island, Virginia at the factory, as well as a KU band communications system that is a permanent part of the International Space Station. When you see the NOAA weather satellite photos, they come through equipment that I built. I have shared knowledge with others every place I have ever worked. The other techs would come to me when they had a problem and the design engineers wouldn't answer them quick enough. I had about 100 databooks on shelves by my bench, and every Datasheet for every IC used in the $80,000 radios in the computer on one of my benches. Most techs used half of an 8 foot bench. I had three benches, because I did a wider variety of boards and modules than anyone else in the plant. The goal of a good tech is to become an even better tech. My goal was to be the best tech, any place that I worked.

You have some severe anti-social issues, and a paranoid outlook on life. It will kill you, if you let it. As far as the DIY crowd, isn't it better to point out the dangers before they tear something apart, or would you rather everyone ignore them and let them die? You know that they are going to try to fix it, either way.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have been in this business for the last 30 years. I have enough work to keep me busy 12 hours a day or longer if I want it. I have made lots of money in my years of working in it and have a very good resume if I ever need to use it. I am getting lots of calls everyday from people including companies like RCA and Sony plus other places like sears and Futureshop to do there work. I have people call me all the time to go work for them and I refuse. I have had people fly there things to me by plane. I get work from atleast 500 km away. So don`t set there and tell me it`s people like me that don`t last in this business because you are dead wrong. I know what I am doing and I do it very well. I have never had any complaints about my work and never will. I have a very big tips database and I have well over 2000 schematics for tv and stereos up to date.

All I am pointing out in this stupid post is everyone is telling this guy that don`t know what a Capacitor looks like and even know where to look for a Horizontal output to go and start changing things in the powersupply. If they are going to do that then when the guy stated he don`t know where the horizontal output is is to atleast point him in the right direction to it instead of keep on telling him to go to change this part or that part. That is so stupid. Atleast help the guy find the sections and then work with him from there. It`s like telling the blind fellow it is ok to cross a busy street.

Reply to
tvguy

Time for you tvguy to get a grip and get a real life.

Spewed nonsense

Reply to
kip