quasar 32" tv shuts down after 10 minutes and then restarts

Ok, I have a 1996 quasar 32 inch tv (model sp3118u chassis aedc274) that only stays on for about 10 minutes. The tv then turns off and will restart, all by itself, 5 to 30 minutes latter. when I comes on, it is in the menu screen, but not always.

Here is what I have done so far.

  1. replaced the voltage regulator (was dead from previous owner)
  2. replaced the flyback (was not well !!!)
  3. re-soldered ALL (and I do mean all) connections on the main chassis board.
4 re-supported the main chassis board, as it was sagging in the middle (kind of like me!!)
  1. ran the set on a variac at about 80 vac.
  2. removed the set back and run the set with a very high speed fan, blowing on all components.

none of these things helped. Some of the time, a good sharp wack to the side of the tv will bring it back. Other times nothing....

When the tv cuts out, there is a funnel shaped raster line that appears on the screen starting from mid screen tapering to the bottom, but this is only visible for a split second.

I am guessing that this is either a voltage issue, or a dried cap issue or ????? I am leaning towards caps, but I don't want to shotgun all the caps (I spent way to much time soldering the entire chassis already....:) anyone have any suggestion as to what to test or where to start?????????

thanks in advance!!! bob in phx

Reply to
Bob in Phx

anyone

It's already 10 years old going on 11.

It's time to whack it one final time with a sledgehammer and go to shopnbc where they have great deals on protron tvs

I suggest you buy a Protron.

They are having a great deal on a 37 inch under a thousand dollars and you get a dvd player that not only plays regular DVDs but makes them high-definition.

They even throw in the digital cable that they say is worth 100 dollars alone.

and you can get a 200 dollar rebate.

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin

thanks for the advise, I will decline to destroy my tv. I am of a generation that would rather fix, then buy disposable items. Call it green, call it frugal, call it penny pinching,,,, Id rather fix it then junk it... bob in phx

Reply to
Bob in Phx

are known for bad solder connections on the power relay. I'd resolder these again. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I serviced a couple Protron tv sets last week and they both had Orion chassis boards in them .

Reply to
Ken G.

a quick google turned this up

Bob > Ok, I have a 1996 quasar 32 inch tv (model

Reply to
anonymous

Its fixed !!!!!!! the problem was a bad relay. Upon inspection of the relay (read that I took out the relay and broke it open) one of the coil wires suffered from a cold solder joint from the factory!!! I replaced the relay and its been running for about three hours without an issue!! Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions, except the a$$hole who suggested a sledge hammer.....

Now for the story behind the TV... Awhile back a coworker of mine said he just got a new DLP TV and needed help moving this TV down from the second story of his house. He also said that the TV was dead. I offered to help and he gave me the dead TV as payment. He thought that he was getting a deal because he didn't have to take it to the dump. Well, I opened the old girl up and found a dead voltage regulator. I replaced the voltage regulator and the set fired up. It worked great for about 6 months. Then the flyback went south. I replaced the flyback. About 2 months after that, the automagic turn off and on started. Then I found the bad relay.... This monster of a TV lives in my bedroom and is seldom used, except by my wife. She got used to the TV turning off and didn't mention it to me. I was wrapping xmas gifts with her one night, in our bedroom and the TV turned itself off. She said, oh,, it does that sometimes..... So now its fixed.... again. The set does have a great picture and nice sound, plus I gave our 27 inch bedroom TV to my sister in law, so there was no going back to the 27 incher!!!!!!

again, thanks for the suggestions...

Reply to
Bob in Phx