QAM tuner?

Well this is not about repair, but I don't know where else to ask it, and someone here will know.

I still have an old CRT TV, which works fine, and I subscribe to Cox cable. Recently Cox has converted some of the analog channels to unscrambled digital, so they are available on anything that has a QAM tuner without having to rent a cable box. And there are a few other channels like that - National Geographic, for instance.

So I need to find an inexpensive stand-alone QAM tuner, or some inexpensive device that includes a QAM tuner, so I can get these channels without paying for another tier or service. Of course eventually I'll upgrade to an LCD TV with a built-in QAM tuner, but I'm just not ready to do that yet.

I have a converter box from when the analog to digital switch happened for over-the-air broadcast TV, but it only has an ATSC tuner, not QAM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Peabody

Buy a used standalone tuner from the days when HDTVs lacked a tuner, before analog disappeared and we got our free converter cards.. Some of those folks should have upgraded by now. The last of the breed was the Samsung DTBH260F

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I found thouse used for 187, so if you're going to spend that much, maybe better to spend 200 new or 150 refurbished, for a Magnavox DVDR with hard drive. It has a QAM tuner, and lots of other stuff. Stuff that works iwth cable, and you can also put in an over the air input. I forget the model number but the numierc part may have started with 5.

If I understood how to unmung your email address, I'd send you an email.

Reply to
micky