Proton VT-290 TV, need schematics

Looking for schematics or the S-M for this circa 1987 Color TV. If you have anything, appreciate if you could send it to: shearnes( at )adelphia.net

Reply to
UFO

I have worked on a couple of Protons. Sounds like the same model.

They squel when they have a short and that seems to usually be a shorted HOT. That is usually caused by bad connections in the H drive circuit.

Also had opens in the SMPS. Simply open, bad, oxidized solder that was a better insulator than,,,,,,,,, you get what I mean.

Did you do a physical inspection yet ? I am gonna tellya right now, it will be VERY VERY difficult to get service info on that, I never had it even when they were new.

IIRC, check the HOT, if shorted run the traces back to the H drive Xfmr. Most likely. The jungle IC is not a very advanced design, but it has some enhancements. It may have been an LA7644 but it needs to be exactly the right type. Like a Sharp, in some cases.

Inspect ALL circuit boards, especially the SMPS. You might be able to get it running without the print.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Some other things to check for on that set. A primary to secondary short in the flyback or a leaky B+ diode. It sometimes checks good in circuit. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks guys for the replies.

Problem is dark screen w/ sound. Crank up G2 and you have a green tinted screen with retrace and you can see a faint pix in the background. Also the channels dont change via remote or panel. I dont know if that means its a tuner problem? The fact is that there is one or 2 tips floating around for this kind of problem:

Symptom ~ Picture very dark, remedy open resistor R441 (10 ohms 0.25W) and shorted diode D425 (RGP01-20). Diode checks good but fails under a load. This was done on the set already by another shop. I think they used a RGP01-17 / RGP02-20 diode as the other one is NLA. Problem persists anyway. There is another tip saying the focus - scrn control part of the flyback is bad, but thats apparently not the case here. I have yet to check the seperate RCA video input jacks, but I suspect the problem is there too.

Reply to
UFO