Problem with non-powering DVD player

Hi, my DVD player recently stopped working. My knowledge of electronics is a bit old and out-of-date, but I thought it would maybe be repairable rather than pay an extortionate fee at a repair place (just to look at it, no less) since I do have some basic knowledge of electronics.

Basically, when it's plugged in and turned on, nothing happens except a big yellow thing starts making a persistent high-pitched ticking sound, slightly more than one per second. It's the thing you can see in the middle of the photographs below (since without a description you'd be hard-put to help me!).

At this link you can see photographs of what I just described. It's the big yellow thing (sadly, I have no idea what that is called) with the black surround and the serial number on top:

I'm wondering if this sound is indicative of a specific fault (with this component?) and if so, if anybody would have an idea of how to repair it or even where to start...?

Thanks!

EDIT: Incidentally, the brand is Medion, I believe it's Danish. Although that shouldn't affect the basic electronickyness of the problem...

--
filecore
Reply to

Incidentally, the brand is Medion, I believe it's Danish. Although that shouldn't affect the basic electronickyness of the problem...

--
filecore
Reply to
filecore

I'm assuming you're referring to the transformer, part of the switchmode power supply. The behavior is often indicative of a fault like a short or overload but could mean a defective power supply as well. The sound is caused by the power supply repeatedly trying to start up and failing.

The fault is not likely in that part.

Since it really doesn't sound like you have the experience to repair this, it would be best to take it to a professional.

WARNING: There are potentially lethal voltages in that power supply.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I agree with Sam with regard to taking it to a qualified repairer. Switch mode power supplies are VERY dangerous - lethal even - to non experienced people. However, that said, in my experience, the problem that you are experiencing often is power supply based, and on budget machines like this, is often due to a short circuit secondary rectifier. From the photos, the diodes that you are looking at are D21, 22, 23, 24, & 25. These are all Schottky types, and must only be replaced with like for like, or equally rated ringers. Note when checking them, that this type of diode will read VERY low resistance in one direction, which may lead you to believe that it is faulty, if you are used to measuring conventional silicon diodes.

This is as far as I would recommend you to go, without experience.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily