Problem Computer from Exercise Machine

I have a Koolatron Life Gear Saturne elliptical exerciser that has a dead computer. A cable comes from inside the machine to what looks like an

1/8" stereo audio connector. Presumably it is connected to a transducer somewhere in there.

There is another cable that connects to that one and it comes up to the top of a post where the computer is attached. The problem is that the computer stopped working because, when I was attaching the post to the machine, it swung backwards and it (the post) hit the plastic cover of the flywheel. It obviously shocked some component in the computer.

Normally, when operating, the computer showed Scan, Speed, Distance and Time. On the other side of the small screen the word Cal appears, possibly for calibration. At present the screen shows only an occasional character like a 1 or a 7 or couple of them. The computer is battery driven.

First, I guess I could hook a meter to the "audio plug" to measure an output - should I look for volts DC or a resistance, while the machine is in operation? Can anyone guess what kind of device is used there to provide the information to the computer?

Next, what chance is there of tracking down the problem with the computer, apart from inspecting all the connections in it?

TIA for all comments.

RuF

Reply to
RuF