power supply question

I ordered one of these last week and it arrived today:

shorturl.at/alQX6

I ordered the 24V 15A.  Has anyone here used one?  Pluses/minuses?

Re: power supply question

Did you read the reviews?
<https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B06XK2ZNKC/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar>

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

nuses?
ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filt
er-bar>
Yes, and mostly positive, but I like to go by more than common laymen
reviews.

Re: power supply question

I have not used one of those, but it seems that several companies make
similar supplies.

There are 2 companies ,one Maxwell and one Meanwell that make them.  I
don't recall which is the better, but the one that costs the most is
better.  I have one that I am using in a ham repeater and it has been in
operation for about a year with no problems.  I do not recall the price,
but it was less than $ 100.

The only minus of the one I have is the 120 volt screws are out in the
open and I had to make a cover for that.  There is no off/on switch.

Re: power supply question

Lambda "brick" supplies were like that. Still are, and they are 100%
reliable.

But as I've said before, "Pay shit, get shit."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I decided to return it rather than take a chance on it.  If it were
going ot be outside or away from indoors, I might give it a try but the
last thing I want is a toxic smoking end or worse.

I must say I am a bit puzzled why these seem to have a bad rep.  Aren't
they switching supplies like used in desktop computers?  Every desktop
computer I ever had never had a power supply burn out.  I've had about 7
over the last 3 decades and many have run 24 hours a day for nearly a
year.  If they can make them for PC's reliably, why not these devices?
They are supposed to be designed for continuous duty too.

Re: power supply question

Simple, if you sell power supplies to Dell, and they burst into flames
and kill a family. Dell will come after you and see to it that you and
your entire family disappear.

On the other hand, if you sell direct to the consumer and someone dies.
Nobody but the immediate family gives a shit.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

very

've

not
o.

Maybe, but in many cases, both units are being made by the Chinese.  I
have an old HP desktop power supply sitting here that I have used for
several years outside of its original environment running 24/7 and it
has done well.  Made in China like the one I returned.  I don't see a UL

listing on it either.  Ok, so maybe the cost is 2-3x more if I bought
the PC power supply new.  Well, I suppose that could be the answer.  a
12V 24/7 PC supply at say $50 versus a 24V/15A supply for $17.

Re: power supply question

Every

I've

 not
oo.

.

't see a UL

ght

BTW, the seller refunded me even before sending it back which tells me
they probably have a lot of defective units.  In good conscience, it is
ready for pickup for the return, however, so even technically "free"
now, I still won't take a chance.

Re: power supply question

I have had many computers over the last 40 or so years and worked for a
company that had around 200 or more computers.  The power supply seldom
fail.

However during one period in time motherboards were failing.  This was
due to bad capacitors on the MB.

Quality electronics will have capacitors rated for higher working
temperatures.  They will uses heaver duty transistors and other
components.  The cheaper supplies will leave out some components that
are not necessary , but surpress radio and tv interferance to near by
radio and tv sets.

You might think of it like bying hamburger meat.  Some of it has a lot
of fat in it , like 80 % lean. The more expensive 95% lean will cost
more, but shrink less when cooked.  Same with gas in your car.  The more
ethanol in it, the cheaper,but you get less gas milage.

There are some good products comming out of China, and a bunch of junk.
Remember a few years back where the drywall off gassed some chemicals
that ate up the copper wiring and pipe in the homes.

A brand name company needs to keep up their image.  The small company
produces a product under one name this year and 6 months later they use
anoter name.  They do not care about quality control.

Site Timeline