Possible chemistry question

Hi Tim, you can think whatever you want. If you're an engineer, then do the numbers! OK let's assume a one inch cube of iron connecting the two. (you can change that to whatever you want.) I calculate that it will have a thermal of resistance ~ 0.5 K/W (assuming iron thermal conductivity is 80 W/(m*K) ) For the proposed 100 K temperature difference that's 200 watts.

And this doesn't include the contact resistance.. which I've found to always be bigger than you'd think too.

Sorry I've been doing a lot of heat transfer calc's lately, conduction, convection, radiation...

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Or, do this thought experiment.

Boil water by putting a pan on an electric burner.

Boil water by holding the pan 2 inches above the burner.

The second case is more like what the OP is trying to accomplish.

Reply to
Tim R