Pioneer Rcever only plays stereo on one side

Hi folks-

Got a problem witn my venerable Pioneer SX-780 receiver. I noticed recently that it had stopped playing one of the speakers. I tried hooking the speakers up to the "B" outlets but still had the same problem. I'd been meaning to check the wiring next, or assume the speaker had a wire off inside or something.

Then, I happened to throw the switch from stereo to mono, and suddenly both speakers started playing. In mono, of course, but both functioning perfectly. So the problem somehow is in the stereo only playing one side.

Anybody ever seen this before, and can maybe point me in the right direction of how to fix it? Thanks in advance - Chris

Reply to
starburst

If the receiver plays fine via mono it's not a wiring issue. You've got a stereo output final (transistor) that is probably blown or shorted. This is an easy fix for an audio repair shop since they're easy to test, easy to get to, and common to find. Shouldn't cost you more than $75-$100 to fix.

Reply to
ditinsta

It could be one of the line in connections from the source. ie a faulty plug or open wire.

On the contrary. If both speakers are working when he hits the mono button then clearly the output section is fine. It has to be something like a bad source, bad interconnect, preamp fault or faulty/dirty mode select switch or potentiometer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

the first step is to spray the mono/stereo switch with a tech spray like Caig Deoxit and work the switch several times.

if the "easy" fix doesn't work, standard diagnostic and repair methods will be needed.

Reply to
TimPerry

This is nonsense...... If he has output at both speakers when he switches to mono there is nothing wrong with the finals. The problem exists in the signal path before this.

Newfdog

Reply to
Newfdog

It's not a blown output if it plays both speakers when the mono button is pushed.

Sheesh.

Probably dirty controls.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks to all for your help. I tried to run the phono through it, and ta-da, it worked on both sides. I've been running the receiver to push my cd and mp3s from my computer. Took a look at the cables into the soundcard and found it - Doh! The output jack was partly pulled out. Slid it in, clicked on Clapton's "let it rain," and I'm rockin.

Love it when it's the simple answer.

Thanks again - Chris

Reply to
starburst