Please give comments on my concept idea for recharging post.

My concept is the recharging post for electric cars and people.

The post consists of solar panel, displays, wifi hub. recharging outlets fo r electric stuff and car. displays can used for advertisements, showing sta tus of cars, etc. it provides people nearby it with internet connection via wifi. With display, we can get money for operating the post, and give usef ul information for car status including BIT results. The USB outlets enable people recharge their portable devices like smartphones, MP3 players, and so on. The total power is available with the power recharged via solar pane l.

Please give comments on this concept for brainstorming. Thanks.

Reply to
bskang0210

electric stuff and car.

displays can used for advertisements, showing status of cars, etc.

it provides people nearby it with internet connection via wifi. With display, we can get money for

operating the post, and give useful information for car status including BIT results.

The USB outlets enable people recharge their portable devices like smartphones, MP3 players, and so on.

The total power is available with the power recharged via solar panel.

Why is it so hard to do some simple math before spouting this stuff?

A charging post must be FAST. How many cars do you want to charge in a day...including night? That sets how many car's worth of batteries you need. How many cloudy days do you want to survive? Multiply the number by that. How much does that cost? Not convinced? How many acres of solar panels will be required to provide adequate charge for your battery hoarde...while still charging cars?

All the other stuff is completely irrelevant to someone wishing to charge their car.

We have several grid-tied charging stations around the city. I've never seen ANY in use.

Bottom line is that all electric cars and solar have no chance of success as long as there is any alternative lower cost source...oil.

Sure, waive the green flag...invest a zillion dollars in technology. Show your friends how cool you are. It'll be useful some day, just not yet.

An all electric car makes no sense unless you always drive between two places that have chargers (yes, both can be your home) and can be guaranteed of a vacant charger at each end. Takes only one other guy to ruin your plan. Nobody wants to be stuck for an hour at the drug store so they can get enough charge to get home. It just ain't practical.

Reply to
mike
[snip]

But it meets the requirements of Obama-nomics >:-} ...Jim Thompson

If you have enough juice for the round trip, then you only need a charger at home base, be that home or a workplace.

The Nissan Leaf has a ~75 mile range, which is enough for most commuters (more than double the average round-trip commute).

Pretty useless for any kind of distance transportation, though, since they didn't see fit to include a backup gasoline motor.

Most working people would not find a solar charging post useful at home, since their car is not usually at home much during daylight hours.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Guess it was too much trouble to read what you quoted. ;-(

Reply to
mike