Philips FL1.10

This Philips TV model FL1.10 goes to standby when switched on - after a brief flash from the LED displays. I'm guessing the SMPS is shutting down due to a fault elsewhere. Any likely cause?

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An Accountant.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Have you checked the secondary side rectifiers?

Not uncommon on Philips gear!

Reply to
ian field

Will do. Was hoping there might be someone familiar with these and knew the common faults.

--
*Pride is what we have.  Vanity is what others have.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Google immediately finds this (which might not be a help)...

Also look at

--
Adrian C
Reply to

The last Philips item I fixed was a DVD player, the secondary side rectifier that failed was a 3A leaded part, but holes and screen print were present for an alternative 2-pin TO220 rectifier - I had to guess the best course of action.

I opted for a 3A rectifier with faster Trr than the original rather than a higher current replacement - it didn't bounce.

Reply to
ian field

Thanks - didn't find one of those on my search. Starting from the info on the second one, found the LOP transistor fooked

- a BU 508 - and replaced it. It then came out of standby to the accompaniment of sounds of arcing, smoke and smells. But not sure exactly where from as I powered down immediately. But guess it needs expensive replacements so probably scrap. Sad as it's the Matchline version in a decent looking box.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Check whether it has a disc ceramic flyback tuning cap, they often crack and usually fail S/C - but could be in the early stage of breaking down.

Reply to
ian field

Just to follow up, found the plug/socket at the tube end for the scan coils burnt out internally. Another tip from that site. Did a bodge repair on that PCB and soldered the ribbons in direct - and it's working fine. (I'd guess a 'proper' repair would mean a new tube. ;-))

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sliced meat, otherwise no chance of making a sandwich ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

A bread slicer.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:53:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Here are the circuit diagrams:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Is the file available anywhere else?

Clicking the link seems to alternate between high number of people downloading - try again in 2 minutes, or "you have to be a premium user to download this file".

Reply to
ian field

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:46:51 -0000, "ian field" put finger to keyboard and composed:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks.

Reply to
ian field

Bit late since it's sorted but thanks. I already have the service manual anyway. But what service manuals never give is the common faults - hence the post.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*