Phaser 860 vs 8200

Hi,

I have too many Phasers cluttering up the place. :< My 860 just started reporting a Jet stack error. May be something simple. Or, may be "replace printhead" (not going to happen! :> ).

Rather than mess with it, I am tempted to just pull the ink[1] and scrap it.

But, I would like to be able to salvage the ink that I already have (in the printer plus "in stock").

Nearest I can tell, the 860 and the 8200 are the same machines (more or less). Of course, the ink is keyed differently! :< The Cynic assumes this is so Xerox can sell more ink! ;-)

AFAICT, the only issues that could affect ink compatibility between the two are melting point and the actual pigment colors. Incompatibilities in the former could damage the printer. While incompatibilities in the latter could result in images of people with yellow faces, green skies, etc.

If I restrict the printer for use with "presentation graphics", then accurate color is not a real issue (I am not sure if using the 860's ICM profiles could work around this incompatibility!).

And, I *think* I can resolve the melting point issue by examining the setpoints of the heaters (diagnostic menu). Presumably, these are determined (by the factory) to yield the same overall viscosity of the ink prior to printing?

(Yeah, it seems like a lot of work just to save a few hundred dollars of ink -- but, it would be interesting to *know* as well!)

Thx,

--don

[1] *and* the keyed cover plate for the ink tray so I can migrate that to the 8200 later to enable the ink to be used there!
Reply to
D Yuniskis

Jetstack error means that one of the heaters is either clogged or dead, or the temp sense thermistor is bad. The exact error message would be helpful. However, removing the loader and jetstack are a major project, especially with melted wax stuck inside. See the service manual for destructions.

Sigh. It's a great color printer.

Ink? It runs on melted wax crayons.

A 3 pack of one color is about $25. You decide if it's worth the effort and mess.

Sigh...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes, that was what motivated me to just opt to "punt" instead of trying to salvage the unit (they are big and I have several of them so... the ink is worth more to me than the printer as I am hoping I can move it into the 8200 -- a nicer printer!)

Yup. But the 8200DP has more features -- the duplexor alone is worth the "upgrade" (i.e., moving the 8200DP into the place currently occupied in the house by the 860N)

Yes. Ink. :> Or, "ink sticks" to be pedantic.

...times 4 colors is $100. Plus, a three pack (of ALL colors) won't even completely fill the tray.

I have a fair bit of ink stockpiled in the closet. If it *can't* be used on the 8200 (when I run out of 8200 sticks), then this is a fair bit of ink to just "bin"...

It looks like I should be able to salvage the cover plate. That would make it a piece of cake to use the 860 sticks in the "bastardized" 8200 when the time comes (I don't cherish the idea of "carving" ink sticks "to fit")

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Ok, you've made your decision.

The landlords office used a Tek 8200DP Phaser printer. Better yet, they got it for free:

Why I didn't get one for myself will remain an unanswered question. They ran it like a printing press and eventually killed it when the excess heat caused all the plastic gears to crumble into powder. So, they bought a new model Phaser, assuming that their lifetime stock of wax "ink" would work. They figured that the price of the wax "ink" supplies, which had to be purchased from the vendor, would eventually climb, so they stocked up. They were wrong. It didn't fit. I looked at the situation and determined that the new wax "ink" blocks were slightly smaller and a different shape. I vaguely recall something like 48 assorted 5 pack boxes.

So, I made a plaster of Paris two part mold of one of the new "ink" blocks. I wrecked a small kitchen pot melting the wax, but after a few screwsup, it worked. There was no difference in color or contamination between the old and the new wax "ink". I didn't try to recover anything out of the old printer. Too messy.

I still have the casting blocks somewhere. I was saving them for a chemisty experiment in making my own wax "ink". However, the landlord wouldn't let me experiment with his printer, so the project was (temporarily) abandoned.

I've had problems printing on both sides using 20lb paper. I had to switch to 24lb minimum. I also noticed an oddity when printing on glossy paper. If I fold the page towards the printed side, the wax doesn't flake off or crack. If I fold it the other way, it flakes and cracks. Duplex printing guarantees that one side will have a problem with glossy paper.

I prefer crayons.

Well ok. You can compare composition between the old and new wax "ink" by melting some in a test tube, and centrifuge it while still hot. It should break down into visible layers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference as vendors are trying to replace expensive bees wax with cheaper vegie stearic acid, soy wax, or carnuaba wax.

Lots more in the references.

So, what happens when you run out of the old wax "ink"? Put the real cover plate back in? I guess that will work.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The three I have are all working recues. Well, all except the

860N which has just recently started complaining...

Yes. All of the phasers have "shape coded" ink sticks.

On older generation phasers, the ink blocks are only keyed in two dimensions. So, if you have the right shaped "cut outs" in the plastic plate that covers the ink tray, you can insert the ink sticks. Hence my original comment that I would salvage this "*keyed* cover plate" from the 860 to use on the 8200

I don't use glossy paper on the phasers. I only print "text" (manuals) double sided.

No. I will keep the current cover plate there until I run out of 8200 ink sticks. Then, i will replace it with the 860N's cover plate and use the salvaged 860 ink. Then, I will toss the printer away. $0 investment.

Thanks!

Reply to
D Yuniskis