Panasonic Viera I2C port comms

Hello,

I'm doing a bit of a holiday project and I basically want to be able to control my plasma TV through the I2C port?

I'm having trouble finding any information whatsoever on communicating through this port as I assume it's for diagnostics only and not really meant to be used by the average joe.

The model is TH50PV500A. Does anyone have any information on the protocol used, I2C addresses and the like? Does anyone know if there is any software available for communicating to the TV and what it is called or how one would get a hold of it? In a worst case, I can just get my CRO on and figure out what is going on if I have SOMETHING that talk to it.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Kind Regards John

Reply to
smittyboy2036

The I2C port is primarily for chip-to-chip communication. It's unlikely it can be used for anything other than diagnostics.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 01:14:01 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

I2C monitoring/control software:

IICUNI controls I2C devices from a PC parallel port. It runs under Win9x (and Win 3.1).

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

He is likely referring to the RS232 port, which on many sets can be used for functional control and is so in many home automation control systems.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

it

for

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm not talking about the RS232 port. I wish my TV had one as it would make my life a hell of a lot easier!!

It's quite possible that I may not be able to achieve what I am trying to do through the I2C port, but I'd at least like to know what can be done through it first.

It looks like it's just a generic Panasonic service port, so I'm guessing there must be a standard Panasonic service suite to talk to it.

Anyway, any help would be great!!!

Reply to
smittyboy2036