Panasonic Genius Microwave

Just out of warranty 2.2 cubic foot Genius microwave just quit. (2+ years) Pad and clock works, but when it powers on to cook. it makes a buzzing noise about 5 seconds in and shuts off, no ding. Made in China crap..... I realize the magnetron has a 5 year warranty but it's the labor that get you ..... Worth fixing? Cheers Dave

Reply to
dx375

For < $150 delivered you can buy any number of good quality two cubic foot microwave ovens. You'll pay that much just for a service call.

Welcome to the disposable society.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Mine died too. $2 MOV that blew it's guts out. It took out a heat sink mounted component which I currently can't ID (it's sitting on the heatsink besides the chopper and the Schottkys).

NSM

I'm not a microwave fix it guy (but not for lack of effort)--but is the magnetron cooling fan working--can you hear it running?--perhaps its hungup, resulting in a thermal switch overheating and shutting down the unit after 5 seconds of run time.

Reply to
cnctut

Reply to
dx375

More than $150 I will wager.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

dx375-

Would be interested in hearing what the problem was?

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

Reply to
dx375

Reply to
dx375

Inquiring minds want to know....was it more than $150 to repair?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Very happy with the Sharp Sensor 1200W

NSM

Reply to
dx375

No surprise - nowadays on small appliances under $350 you are almost always better off trashing them and buying a new one.

I hope they didn't charge you too much for the estimate.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

dx375--

Thanks for the update--sorry to hear your microwave died at the shop. ;-(

Tut

Reply to
cnctut