OT: ripping into the Registry

I still use a Palm Tungsten T3. Last week, when I went to back up its contents, nothing happened when I punched the button on the cradle. This happened once before, and was corrected by reinstalling the software. * Well, the reinstallation didn't work, and I wound up with a Palm I couldn't back up. Mildly scary.

Repeated de- and re-installations didn't work. I finally decided to bite the bullet and edit the Registry. This isn't dangerous if you're cautious. (I'd done it many times before, and never fouled up anything.) Anyhow, I removed every reference to Palm -- both direct and indirect (ie, those related to other software), then reinstalled the software. Everything now works correctly.

Conclusion? If you reinstall software that used to work, but won't after reinstallation, it might be because of crap floating around in the Registry. Just be vehwy, vehwy kehful when you edit it. And don't forget to restart after the edit.

  • It turned out the cradle itself was bad. I bought two for , shipping included, from an eBay dealer. They came with two 5V switching supplies.
--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

editing

will

I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Next time you want to remove something don't go through the chore of editing the registry. Instead get a little utility called Revo uninstaller. It will do all that with no fuss on your part. There is a free or pro version available.

I have gone the route you have traveled, But if you use Revo you will be amazed at all the crap that gets left behind even if you had used a programs uninstaller that proclaims that something has been successfully uninstalled.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie