OT: Has anyone tried this product for heat-sink compound?

.

..

ed

ed

it

the

tters

Are you the doctor that writes on nutrition?

Reply to
Bob Villa

You are correct. Permatex Ultra products are an alcohol cure. But they still make two high temperature red silicones that are an acetoxy cure. They, and the Ultra Copper silicones, are all brick red.

When I worked at Eastman Chemical Company's research labs, I was called in to work on a problem with the thermocouples in their coal gasifiers. Their maintenance people were using an acetoxy cure one-part GE red silicone to encapsulate and insulate the "cold" end of the thermocouple assembly. What they did not realize was that the silicone would only cure to a depth of about 1/4 inch. The deeper material was uncured. I had them switch to a two-part cure that did not create any volatile byproducts that had to diffuse out through the cured "skin." I wish all problems were so easy to fix.

This 1/4 inch issue can be a problem when a wide gasket is needed. The material will cure along the outside edges, but still be uncured in the middle. When the gasket gets hot, the uncured material can cause localized over pressurization. If you forgetfully leave the cap off a tube of silicone, a cured plug will form. This can usually be pulled out allowing the rest of the tube to be used so try this before throwing the tube away.

73, Barry WA4VZQ
Reply to
Barry

No. In my case the "doctor" refers to my having a PhD. I am an oddball having a PhD in chemical engineering while minoring in electrical engineering and automatic control. At Eastman, I worked in a group that designed and built custom instrumentation for their manufacturing divisions. I later worked for W. L. Gore & Associates before retiring. I have been on the Usenet newsgroups since 1983.

How many chemical engineers do you know that took graduate courses in antennas and transmission lines? ;-)

Barry

Reply to
Barry

When I was in Hawaii, the local Macadamia nuts were shipped to Los Angeles, packaged, and shipped back for sales to the tourists.

Made in USA:

and from the FTC point of view, which is a confusing mess:

It's possible to buy direct for India or China via various internet vendors and spammers. The problem is that most of these don't contain any of the advertised drugs. Great for a placebo, but not much else.

This horror story is also at:

Basically, the FDA gave them an exclusive in trade for paying for their own drug tests, thus saving the FDA some budget money. Of course, the FDA is defending their actions with various excuses but never mentioning the cost to the public. However, they did release a drug interaction warning at the same time probably intended to convince the public that Colchicine is too dangerous to remain an uncontrolled drug:

Drivel: I was synthesizing some of my own prescription drugs for a while. The kitchen looked like Dr Frankenstein's laboratory. Synthesis was generally successful, but I had only limited equipment and ability to do potency tests. After two accidental overdoses, I decided that this was not going to work. Even with the cost of all the expensive reagents, glassware, and hardware, it was still cheaper than paying retail for the drugs. Unfortunately, I can't deduct the costs as a medical expense on my taxes. I managed to get one sample tested and analyzed by a lab before they deduced what I was doing and suggested I go elsewhere. However, now that I know the potency of this one batch, I have the equivalent of a 20 year supply.

If we went on a protectionist tariff frenzy, and decide to "promote" domestic manufacture, the prices of just about everything will go dramatically higher. Given the choice, methinks Joe Sixpack would chose to perpetuate the current mess. At this time "Made in USA" means "you overpaid".

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dr. Reddy is a very popular Indian drug manufacturer. They make a lot of USA store brand OTC, Ibuprofen for one. I've purchased antibiotics back in 2007 from a legitimate online distributer and they were sealed boxes in blister packs, pretty hard to counterfeit. And they worked. At the time I was in between having prescription insurance coverage for a couple months and I saved $150 bucks purchasing them from this internet company who is still in business. The ones to watch out for are the Russian pill spammers (Canadian Pharmacy) offering dick drugs and narcotics. The company I dealt with offered neither. I researched the company and made sure they were actually based in Canada. Also used Paypal. The drugs were shipped directly from India.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

well.=20

those=20

better=20

acid=20

Ahem, not any more.

Only the very old version from thee 1960s were acetoxy cure. I had a lot of corroded connections to learn my lesson about that. Then in the early

1970s GE came out with the thixotropic variants which use atmospheric moisture as an initiator. No more acid release as a byproduct of cure. Please get up to date.
Reply to
josephkk

s at live.com

Here is what I have used (in a pinch). And, no...I don't have stock in Permatex.

Bob Villa

ll.

ose

ter

rs at live.com

ot

ly

Permatex blue is electronic sensor safe, and I was using it in the

80's the cheapest of the electronic grade rtv. I have used stopcock grease at times. Regardless of type, but never used 1960 rtv, stuff WILL corrode under silicone because of moisture build up, not acid corrosion. Clear varnish should be applied to metal before rtv. I have tested acidic rtv on foils. The vapor escapes rapidly unless it's used in a closed box.

Greg

Greg

Reply to
GS

And far too often, no curing, either. At least the acetic-acid-releasing stuff got hard in a reasonable amount of time.

Isaac

Reply to
isw