Oscilloscope question

I haven't used my scope in years, and now need want to check the vertical waveforms from the video processor to the vertical out. Where should I have the "source" set to on the scope, and do I need to use the probe ground when checking? Thanks again group.

Reply to
Golf

usually 'int'

and do I need to use

it a good idea, usually. sometimes a ground is established through the AC plugs ground but without seeing the scope or the equipment under test no one can know if that's what you have.

Reply to
TimPerry

This raises many more questions, some of which may be SAFETY related.

What is the device being tested? A TV? If so (as well as other equipment), it may have a HOT chassis, which is extremely dangerous to work on without an isolation transformer. In addition to being electrocuted, there may be fireworks when attaching the scope ground to signal ground.

More details please.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Yes Sam, it's a Sony TV. I do have, and use an isolation transformer. When I checked a few pins on the video processor, I kept getting the same waveform. When I connected the probe ground, the signal trace would dissapear. I have since fugured out what I was doing wrong. I didn't have the trigger set to auto. This also explains why I didn't see a trace before connecting the probe (didn't post this). I appreciate the concern and reply. Thanks again to all who replied.

Reply to
Golf

That's how I blew up the very first TV I worked on. It was a learning experience. It cost me a $250 20" Stereo Sharp TV (long while ago) and was an amazing display of colors and smells along with sparks, flames, smoke, etc. Those days were fun.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

The real pity of that type of experience is that - because we don't anticipate it - we don't have videocam running to allow lasting enjoyment (and sharing) of the spectacle.

Reply to
budgie