Oldtimer question (valves/tubes)

I picked up a valve paging transmitter from a rubbish tip. It was in working order, 5 watts output on 27.212 MHz, with the crystal in an oven.

Reply to
Lucifer

Nice find. It's amazing what gets thrown out! I dream of owning an apartment overlooking a vast garbage tip so I can spot anything potentially valuable being dumped. ;-)

Cursitor Doom

Thanks for the offer, Tabs, but it's too far gone in other respects I'm sorry to say. Trust me, I hate throwing anything away so it really has to be terminal case for me to even consider junking it.

Cursitor Doom

Tust the grid alone was battery powered? Seems a bit of a strange idea. I mean, it's entirely feasible, but if you have to generate higher voltages for the anode from the mains....

Cursitor Doom

The nine volts was the anode voltage! I had a hybrid car radio with 4 valves and 2 transistors. The valves used the 12 volts for the anode voltage.

Valves don't need high voltage on the anode for low power applications.

Reply to
Lucifer

I have found so many amazing things at tips. A bag of stained glass hobby bits and pieces. Photo copiers I spent hours dismantling.

Auctions are a good cheap source of what many people call junk.

Reply to
Lucifer

What's worth salvaging from old photocopiers? I vaguely recall there's some exotic goodies in them somewhere.

Cursitor Doom

I'll have to look into that. I had no idea of such extraordinarily low plate voltages as that. 9V eh? Wow! Do you happen to remember the type number of those? I'd be fascinated to check out the data sheet for 'em.

Cursitor Doom

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

At one time the car radios had low voltage tubes in them that just ran on 12 volts . They could not supply the power for the audio output, so a transisitor or two were used in the audio stages. Tubes worked well for the radio frequency signals and transistors not so well in those years.

Back in the eairly 1960's I built a one tube receiver for the airplanes that ran on 12 volts only. Plans were in a Popular Electronics of the same years. Had to use earphones for it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In a good copier, there's an excellent lens, for a start.

Reply to
Wond

Those awful high impedance ones, by any chance?

Cursitor Doom

Thanks!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Some of the older ones that were around 1000 ohms or more impedance phones. The lower ones would not work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

See

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Very nice, that. You should hang on to it; valves seem to be making a comeback in some areas.

Cursitor Doom

Perhaps not exotic, but they tend to have a few nice 24V motors.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I don't remember other that the car radio used transistors for the second audio and the audio output and valves for the rest.

Reply to
Lucifer

Very interesting. Thank you.

Reply to
Lucifer

Too late; assuming they have not thrown it away, it has been at Bletchley Park for several years, hopefully supporting their old computer resusitation projects.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon