Old tv chassis you loved to hate

My pet hate has got to be the Bush a823a and the Thorn 4000. And GEC with their double-sided printed circuit boards used to get on my wick...

Reply to
David Sewell

Thorn 4000, no such thing, the guy must be mistaken (or so I thought)

There is one here

It says they were rare in the UK. Where did you come across them?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham

with

I had several customers with these sets. Even with having a full manual for them, free - my sister-in-law worked at the printers ;-) they were a damn pain...

Reply to
David Sewell

A823A was an excellent chassis - apart from getting at the decoder in situ. The Thorn 4000 was a bit of an abortion, the 3500 was my forte - not everyone's cup of tea though! GEC were fine - apart fron the double-sided print. Made a few bob out of the 1018 mono chassis - anyone remember that?

Reply to
Barney

In New Zealand we were making Thorn 3500 (TX574) when Princess Ann got married, (must of been middle of 1974) As CTV came to NZ in November 1973, Factory workers could go to the factory and see the wedding in color, I was told the next morning the lunch room started off with 20 TV one by one they faulted, by the time the wedding was over there was only about 5 sets still working

A823A was an excellent chassis - apart from getting at the decoder in situ. The Thorn 4000 was a bit of an abortion, the 3500 was my forte - not everyone's cup of tea though! GEC were fine - apart fron the double-sided print. Made a few bob out of the 1018 mono chassis - anyone remember that?

Reply to
Eric

Was the 1018 mono chassis the one prone to bias resistor failure around the sound output valve? The thorn 3500 was a brilliant chassis to learn about switch mode power supplies a lot better than the thyrisistor controlled PSU in the 8000 series. ITT/KB, GEC, Philips, Thorn all ok but What about that Sony chassis with the gate controlled switches that popped when you looked at them dam that could be expensive!

Reply to
John

My favourite CTV chassis has got to be the Decca Bradford I had the original 22 inch version with the oversized on/off-volume knob. Much better picture than many of its contemporaries, and such a simple hybrid circuit you rarely needed to consult the manual.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham

Got to be the Philips G6. Colour difference drive and the most lethal EHT ever used on a CRT set. But capable of giving superb pictures. Pity about the sound. ;-)

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

factory

one

I was offered a job in New Zealand around that time - one or two people I knew did go - I think the company was called 'Tisco', or something like that.

Reply to
Barney

the

Yes - if I remember correctly, they were an 18k and a 5.6k.

The 'chopper' circuit, still my favourite. The 8000 was an abortion, the

8500 was much better.

the

could

Those Sony were absolute beasts. You had to replace numerous things when those gcs things failed, otherwise they failed again within a short time.

Reply to
Barney

The Decca Bradford was indeed a great chassis, they were real money spinners in those days, armed with about 10 stock faults you were in business repairing those things.

Reply to
Barney

Oh, the G6. Spoilt my day reminding me of those things - what a brute! Colour difference drive, now that takes me back a bit - if I rememeber correctly they used three PCL 84s. But what about the worst of all - the Thorn 2000?

Reply to
Barney

Yup. But I had a mate who was a very talented engineer at the BBC and he modified the set to get round the problems. Added a sub carrier trap to sort cross colour. An emitter follower to the black level clamp to get rid of the buzz on sound. A buffer amp and repcoil so I could feed the sound to an external amp and speakers. It then ended up as one of the finest domestic TVs I've ever seen and heard. Provided you had a large valve budget. ;-)

BRC bought cost trimming to a fine art. ;-)

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *