Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

It seems the plastic housing has deformed to slightly oval tubes or something, but no rechargeable AA size batteries (2x2) comfortably slide in and out. Had to cut in from the side to make an access point to lever out the 2 deeper AAs, wedged in ther, no corrossion , just lack of freeboard. Any ideas how to enlarge the bores a bit, no engineering reamer available. Those silly sandpaper cylinders on a rubber cylinder "mandrel" for "Dremmels" would do the job if there was a way to extend the shaft. I'll try the core of a "choc block" connector as a coupler, but any other ideas?

Reply to
N_Cook

Strip the insulation off the batteries so they fit?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Even after shrinking on , its very thin. Don't tell any mechanical engineer. A core of a choc-bloc, 10A?, is just right to join 3/32" shafts together. Luckily I save worn down "dremmel" grinding discs for when I need to cut the narrow edge of a slot in steel plate. So using one of them, a bit smaller than the bores of the GPS, did a great job of material removal to depth, not very pretty and probably not very concentric. Will tidy up with one of those sandpaper cylinder things hot melt glued o nthe end of a hotmelt glue stick , manually turning and sliding.

Reply to
N_Cook

Because of the off-axis coupler, I had to wrap 8 turns of 1mm copper wire around non-protruding side of the couple, and grind the screws down to grub screws, to balance things up a bit

Reply to
N_Cook

I'm not sure if it's "deformed".

I have a Garmin, sort of slender and long, and I've had some trouble with rechargeables in there. The battery cover has a thing in the middle that you twist to lock it closed. That has been a tight fit. I seem to recall trying the thing with alkaline AAs, and it was easier to close that cover.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

The closers are Dzus Camlock. Perhaps deliberately undersized bores so as to lock you in to buying Garmin undersize AA batteries. If you are forcing home the closer , then you will have the same problem of the lower cells jammed in the bore. As the moulding around the bores is highly asymetric, perhaps the plastic releives over time and bends, anyway my "reaming" has done the trick, crude but effective, GPS still works BTW

Reply to
N_Cook

You're lucky! My admittedly old (1997) Garmin GPS-II+ screen became totally unreadable (though the rest of it worked) years ago.

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

This is a GPS 12

Reply to
N_Cook

such bits as metal grinding carbides are essential for rust maintenance.

Reply to
avagadro7

avagadro7