Oh Dear ...

It "sounds good". When I bought mine, I let it "break in" for a day, then ran bypass tests on the mic preamps cum line outputs. I couldn't hear the unit. J. Gordon Holt, who founded Stereophile, ran a similar test on a Mackie he purchased, and was similarly surprised at the unit's transparency.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

What parts ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

YOUR area ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Speaking in a purely live sound context, there is far better gear available for similar or less money.

Mackie isn`t considered 'Pro' gear here in the UK. A lot of band's riders stipulate "No Mackie"

Country of origin doesnt figure into it.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

"Sounds good" is not the best term, but it was short. Obviously, I don't want amplification that "sounds good", but has no sound of its own.

I consider bypass testing to be "scientific", in that it passes judgement on the basis of accuracy, rather euphony.

But, yes, it was uncontrolled listening, and thus not truly scientific.

When the day comes that someone can predict what a piece of audio equipment sounds like based on test-bench measurements, then I will stop advocating subjective testing -- of which ABX is one form.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I remember talking about Europe and gasoline prices back in school. The teacher was talking about how gas was $3 a gallon there. We all thought that was so expensive.. Now gasoline is $3.40 / gal here..

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Sounds good or not, the stuff is made cheaply and doesn't hold up well under rigorous touring conditions. Servicability is also an issue. That's the reason it's banned in equipment riders. In another ng there was a thread about cheap mixers. Basically the conclusion was that you buy one, it sounds fine. When it breaks (and it will break), throw it away.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Idiot. Learn to read headers to spot the aioe.org forgeries.

Aioe.org the home of cowards and terrorists.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Reply to

That's a good one. Good show!

Reply to
Don Bowey

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mackie used to have a "chamber of horrors" display of boards that had been grossly abused, but continued to work. This was more than a decade ago. Whether their current units are of poorer quality, I don't know.

Regardless, my Mackie board was a cheap way to get a bunch of decent mic preamps.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I wouldn't expect any less. Most modern audio gear is transparent to most people.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore