Oh Dear ...

"Arfa Daily" skrev i en meddelelse news:pH7Aj.94$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

The good thing is that Peak Food is arriving just about NOW with China, Vietnam, India Argentina, Mexico e.t.c. placing export restrictions on various food items. The it also seems that the old favorite Peak Oil has already arrived in Saudi Arabia; the Saudi's keep increasing the reserves yet they cannot pump more oil (possibly because whatever they have left is more like tar than oil). This will put a crimp on the profits in shipping stuff across the planet.

The combine of the resulting mess of food riots and topping(!) of middle-eastern governments will be The End of "Globalisation" and we engineers can once again get real jobs on (re)-building our own crappy and dillapidated infrastructure instead of telling a bunch of "foreigners" how to do our jobs to make cheaper junk for our landfills.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Are they Chinese-owned (as opposed to having their products made in China)?

33

the

Would that all companies existed in such "doldrums". On a percentage basis, QUAD has produced more "classic" products than any other hi-fi company. How many loudspeakers introduced in 1957 are still considered "good" speakers?

QUAD is one of those rare companies that thoroughly researches the products it introduces, and doesn't believe in annual model changes.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I interviewed Mackie about a decade ago. It was nice to see inexpensive products being made in the US. Mackie employees seemed to have a good attitude about the company and its products.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

This is 'quite interesting'

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I think you might find that Roland took over the Vox badge some time ago. of course they were never the same after those pesky printed circuits were introduuced

Wharfedale make some very nice professional stage monitor speakers, not to be confused with the chipbaord crap they churn out for the MI market.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I think it`s the TwinX series, with dualconcentric drivers, that are good, excellent real plywood boxes and lovely sounding speakers. Rather highly priced tho for something with a Wharfedale badge on it.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Well, one thing's for sure. Whover now owns the Wharfedale name sure as hell isn't manufacturing the 111 products listed under their name at Argos. Everything from cordless phones, through poor quality Freeview boxes, to big LCD TV sets. So I think that you can be pretty sure that, whilst the "Pro" division may still be manufacturing their own designs, the rest of the company is trading on their once good name for things hifi, by badging anything they can lay hands on. One of the service outfits that I do work for, is a repair agent for Argos, so I am in the unfortunate position of seeing some of this stuff. That's not to say that everything with the Wharfedale name on it is rubbish. Some of the LCD sets are Vestel chassis inside, the same ones being used by many big name Jap manufacturers. But that said, don't run away with the idea that Wharfedale is not now just another electrical barn badge-name, and that the quality of their products won't vary between OK and absolute crap.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes, part of IAG.

But sadly also somewhat unadventurous. Or, rather it had become so.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I wasn't aware of the phones and other nonsense.

I'd say that was very silly degrading the brand by associating it with that garbage.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Chinese owned. I don't think the Walker family could have had stuff manufactured in China while retaining the brand in name only. So they sold up instead.

Indeed. Of course like any company they can't rest on their laurels.

I dunno why they were sold - perhaps no one left in the family to carry on the business.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can see there being a problem making budget gear in a high wage etc economy, but with high end stuff is the labour cost of manufacture really impossible to absorb? Or is it just a question of maximising profits regardless?

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

any

We're a dealer. They're inexpensive and overall the quality and performance/reliability is pretty decent for sound re-enforcement applications.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I've found that their PA speakers and monitors are very nice. We use a Thiel design 18" sub and 15" two-way biamped on each side on two S-2500 Warf amps. For bigger rooms we can add an additional 18 and 15 on each side with the same amps. Stage monitors are four Warf 12's on a Warf S-1000

Reply to
Meat Plow

profits

At the time I visited, the boards were populated and soldered automatically. The assembly line did not comprise a huge number of workers.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Mackie isn't high-end.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Why are you hanging in my area dummy? Why don't you go back to your hydrogen NG?

--
Service to my evil master? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD666 to
prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mackie gear is not does not enjoy a very good reputation here in the UK Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I'm struggling to get parts for two units right now ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In what respect? Because it is (was) from the US?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck