Nintendo 3DS XL only works when the battery is not fully charged

My nephew's Nintendo 3ds has this problem. One night he connected the charger and the next morning the console was dead. No response whatsoever, totally bricked.

Today I had time to try to repair the console and because the battery self-discharge, today was working. I have charged the battery and measured the voltage, when is over 3.8 volts the machine doesn't work.

I think that i will have to change the complete motherboard, but anyone has a better idea?

Reply to
juanjo

Get a charger that does not over-charge.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

The battery at 3.8 volts is not over-charged, it is normal for a lithium battery to go over 4 volts when fully carged

Reply to
juanjo

Put a diode in series with the battery lead.

A regular silicon diode drops 0.7V, Shottky-barrier drops about half that.

You could even put a shorting switch across the diode so you can suck the battery dry.

Its a bodge - but its cheaper than replacing the game.

Most current lithium cells must not exceed 4.2V, some older types must not exceed 4.1V - a few modern types need 4.3V.

The exact right charging voltage for lithium cells is critical - they tend to vent with flaming gas if overcharged!

Reply to
Ian Field

you have a bad voltage regulator that passing through by the sounds of it. I bet you have a 3.3V chip set that has a LDO (Low drop out Reg) running it.

If that not being the case, maybe a back flow DIODE is shorted and allowiing that extra .5 volts or so to pass through. Those are use to prevent drainage of the battery however, the machine should work with the charger in it, if not, I'd go back looking for that regulator.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yes, I think thats the problem. The console also shows that the battery is when in reality is half drained. But in the end, the fastes and simplest solution is to change the main board.

The console doesn't work with the charger

Reply to
juanjo

Can't do that because then it won't charge. Maybe with two, one in each direction but then it'll probably never fully charge.

Reply to
jurb6006

Its amazing how something as simple as using a diode as a gate confuses some people.

Reply to
Ian Field