Neotus ELM1700ND

Hi,

We've a chance to rescue some of these. But, it appears to be an orphaned product. Has anyone

*used*/deployed one and/or have any technical information (beyond what google turns up) on them?

For starters, is there a SETUP *behind* (before) the GUI Setup?

Most significantly, how buggy is their TS implementation? Is it usable? Or, is that the reason behind these particular units "being available"? :> I.e., is it best just to ignore that capability and use them in their "dumb" form, instead?

(shame as they could be a decent little "portable" to lug around as needed)

Thx,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Meat Plow

Thanks, but I'd already been there. :<

They don't have any information on this product on their site. It appears to have been abandoned and.or redesigned/renamed. Nor do they have anything that gives any level of detail about operation, troubleshooting, etc.

E.g., it seems likely that you would want to be able to specify the default *mode* (smart vs dumb) in which the device powers up (of course, they may have simply failed to see the use for this feature). Some of the prompts suggest there *may* be hidden menus/modes, etc.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

If you have one to look at or mess with I would assume it has DVI and

15 pin SUB-D interfaces. And their network appliances (terminals) have a 15 pin SUB-D with RGB out along with PS2 for mouse/keyboard and an ethernet connector. So it should work on either since VGA is RGB with H&V sync.

What is it you mean by smart or dumb mode?

Reply to
Meat Plow

It's a combination TS client/LCD monitor.

As an LCD monitor, it can be analog or digital (DVI and high density sub-D "VGA" connectors).

As a TS client, it is smart enough to contact the TS server, etc. (plus other clients built in for things like firmware upgrade).

E.g., if you turn it on, it *wants* to be "smart". If you don't want to use it in this manner, you have to tell it to switch to the analog (or digital) inputs (i.e., "be dumb").

I would assume there should be a way to tell it the default mode (TS vs. LCD) in which it should power up. So, if you did NOT want to use it as a TS client, you could "just" use it as a nice little (17") LCD monitor. Folks who have played with them (*as* "dumb" LCD monitors) are always confused when it powers up with a "pretty" GUI screen -- and doesn't seem to respond to their keyboard! (because their keyboard is connected to their PC and their PC's output is -- currently -- not being shown on the display!).

We've not had any luck trying to get them to behave as TS clients so we can't decide if they are worth deploying in that mode :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

So it has an ethernet, a keyboard and mouse connection built into the monitor?

Sorry if I seem dense but what all can you plug into the monitor besides video?

The server PC would have to run their software.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yes.

Connectors are:

- keyboard (ps2)

- mouse (ps2)

- ethernet

- power (DC)

- "speaker" (I assume this is an output)

- DVI

- "vga"

Front panel controls are:

- power

- source (analog -> digital -> TS client)

- menu

- select

- < (i.e., arrow left)

- > (i.e., arrow right)

No, I think the server is just intended to run MS's RDP (I may be mistaken, but the on screen displays seem to imply that). Without technical info, its hard to say authoritatively! :>

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Well from what little I gleaned it used/uses exclusive UTMA technology (Ultra Thin Multi-Access). To me at least that is an NComputing proprietary protocol. Probably why you can't get it to talk to Windows TS.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have no idea. I'm not the one playing with them :>

We'd been told they were "MS Terminal Server clients". But, this could be that folks aren't aware of the various technologies that have been used over the years to implement thin clients (X terminals, Sun Rays, etc.). I was approached solely because I am the X-terminal expert :-/

I was hoping that a way could be found to just turn them into "dumb monitors" using some "SETUP menu" (not possible sing the thin client configuration pages). I don't want to encourage the use of MS protocols as they are too expensive to support, long term :-/

If the only option is "install some proprietary, long since unsupported software on some *particular* version of an MS OS" then I think I'll just recommend a "pass" on these and let the recycler have them.

Thanks!

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Well since NComputing is still in business have you tried to get someone to talk to you about it? It might be worth a phone call if you haven't already.

Meat Plow

I passed along a note:

Give them a call and see if these devices are supported AT ALL. See what sort of documentation you can get from them -- even if it is just a user manual, datasheet, etc. If they are 'uncooperative' -- "Sorry, we no longer support that product. Would you like to buy one of our XYZ2000's instead?" then just save one or two of the units (don't forget the power packs!) and pass the rest on to recycle.

Wanna bet they end up in the recycle heap?? :<

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yup. It depends on the nature of the company, size, industry that it serves, etc.

I had one helpful soul forward me some software that had never been formally released (product was discontinued) in one case. And, I recall a very helpful lady at Jensen when I was looking for information on my G610B's. Actually sent me original copies pulled from archives!

Reply to
D Yuniskis