Negative ion disrupters

The other day I was walking around the local mall with some friends when I was approched by this young girl at a kiosk. She asked me if I was familiar with how all the negative ions in the air, which are caused by cell phones, wireless equipment, etc interfere with the natual processes of our bodies and disrupt our equalibrium. I truly have not heard about this but being bored anyway I decided to let her lay this rap on me. Besides she wasn't too hard to look at and so this made it a lot more interesting.

She asked me to stand on my right foot only and stick my left arm straight out and she asked me to try to balance. She then placed her hand on my left wrist, applied some pressure and tipped me over. We then repeated this process on the other side with the same results.

At this point she showed me what appeared to be simply a small rubber "bracelet". She put this thing on my wrist and we repeated the process. I was amazed to note that my balance was a lot better and she was not able to tip me over on either side.

Being the sceptic, (and probably the most difficult person to try to sell anything to) I had to confirm what had just happened. So we repeated the whole process, twice more. Each time I was very careful to note the position of her hand on my wrist, the downward force used, etc. The seemingly ashtonishing results were the same.

It didn't seem to matter which hand the thing was on either. In fact she offered that it would probably work if it was in my pocket, although we didn't try that.

The "bracelet" was 25.00. I didn't buy one though. I told the girl that I really wantd to find out more about this and she told me that she would be there well into January. Surprisingly she wasn't pushy at all.

Now this probably is going to sound a bit stupid but I do believe that SOMETHIBG was happening there but I can't imagine what. I am sure that I conducted the experiment using the same criteria each time and with the same results. ( same pressure on the wrist, same position on the wrist, etc.)

I'm not saying that I'm ready to go out and buy a bunch of these things but I will admit I am truly intriguied.

I related this story to a friend and he suggested that I was obviously too busy imagining what she must look like without her clothes on that my judgement was clouded..Admitedly while I might have considered it this was not what was going on. So other than to tell me to have my head examined, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

So what did the force gauge show ,measuring the force she was applying , in both situations?

Reply to
N_Cook

cut

Aything that can disrupt negative ions in its neighbourhood would kill you on the spot.

Your body is literally filled with neg. ions. Disrupt them --> instant death.

So the lady tried to swindle you.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

This "effect" is simply the power of suggestion -- or a clever bit of street magic.

It has long been believed that negative ions have a beneficial, not harmful, effect on humans.

Furthermore, cell phones and various wireless equipment do not and cannot ionize the air, because their photons do not have sufficient energy to knock electrons loose from atoms.

Utter bilge.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

yawn....

It's a scamming trick, it looks but is not the same position on the wrist.

Applied Kinesiology - How it's Done

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

**It's an old con-trick. Of course it's complete bullshit.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

That's all to funny.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

Not when people waste money on such junk. And please, no remarks about audiophools, because I don't consider myself one.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On 12/19/2010 9:04 AM Adrian C spake thus:

Interesting review by a self-professed "skeptic", but it's a pity they were so technically clueless as to not be able to simply refute the hucksters' horseshit junk-science claims on their face:

POWER BALANCE'S Mylar Holographic Disk (the same substance used to keep static electricity from damaging electrical components) has been imbedded with an electrical frequency that restores your body?s electrical balance, promoting a free exchange of positive and negative ions and align your body?s energy pathways.

The high density Disk acts much like a switch, resonating within your system and turning on your energy field while it clears the pathways so the electro-chemical exchange functions like the well-tuned generator it was designed to be.

When the static Power Balance Hologram comes in contact with your body?s energy field, it begins to resonate in accordance with each individual's biological, creating a harmonic loop that optimizes your energy field and maintains maximum energy flow while clearing the pathways so the electro-chemical exchange functions like the well-tuned generator it was meant to be.

So, class, can you tell us what's wrong with:

o "imbedded with an electrical frequency" o "high-density Disk acts much like a switch" o "... begins to resonate in accordance with each individual's biological"?

So much hogwash to bamboozle the technically-challenged, so little time ...

   who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
   that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 12/19/2010 4:26 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

I think a reference to audiophools would be perfectly appropriate here. And why, pray tell, are you so sensitive on the issue if you're not one? Don't think anyone's accusing you of such here.

   who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
   that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'm an audiophile, thank you. The terms hardly mean the same thing. I saw no reason not to dismiss any potential wise remarks before they occurred.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There is a very simple test to distinguish between the audiophile and the audiophool. What kind of wire was used to wind the primary and secondaries of the power transformer in your amplifier?

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

99.9999999999% pure silver litz wire, of course!
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Is that a trick question? No tranformer is used. Real audiophiles know that transformers cause distortion. Therefore, the best amplifiers are those that run directly from the power mains in an AC/DC configuration. Some care in wiring is necessary to avoid fatal electrocution, but that's a small price to pay for less distortion. However, if you must use a transformer, all copper should be oxygen free so that it has the lowest possible resistance.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My recollection is that in previous discussions hereabouts, it was generally conceded that the truest fidelity for transformers can only be achieved using "wiring" consisting of metallic mercury, properly contained in tubes consisting of the correct grade of silicone rubber.

Second grade went to wiring make of isotopically-pure silver. Either of the two common, stable isotopes 107Ag and 109Ag may be used, as long as you don't mix them... fortunately both 107 and 109 are prime numbers, which contributes to the piquancy of the sound. Silver's other isotopes are not commercially useful in this application, even if successfully purified, as they are all radioisotopes with relatively short half-lives, and most will decay into utter worthlessness even faster than a current Top 10 hit.

The silver should be precipitated in-place from a saturated solution, using the blood of ritually-blessed virgins as the flocculant. [For tolerably obvious reasons, this means that this sort of wire is rarely available in my home state of California.]

Even the most oxygen-freed copper is definitely in third place when it comes to transformers (except of course for the Optimus brand).

( For the humor-impaired: I'm kidding... don't try making transformer wiring by any of these methods :-)

Dave Platt

Real audiophiles know no such thing.

To -- for a moment -- take a facetious answer seriously, wouldn't using line-operated amplifiers cause problems with ground loops, especially when connecting your system controller to speaker amplifiers at a distance? My controller and power amps have balanced outputs and inputs, and there is nary a hint of hum even though they are well-separated.

Just in case anyone takes the idea of direct powerline powering seriously... Transformers permit almost any DC power-supply voltage. Without a transformer, you're pretty much limited to DC voltages suitable for thermionic devices.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Unfortunately, I have two audiophiles as customers. They don't consider themselves audiophiles, but from my warped perspective, they are.

Absolutely not. As long as you have exactly one connection to the one true ground point, there's no ground loop. Were one to connect the neutral side of the speaker to the house ground, there would certainly be a ground loop. As I indicated "some care in wiring is necessary to avoid fatal electrocution". AC/DC power supplies are dangerous, but only if packaged and installed improperly.

Balanced designs are also good for eliminating odd order distortion products. For the ultimate in balance, there should be completely separate, identical, and isolated tuners and amplifiers for the left and right channels.

I once built a DC coupled class A stereo amplifier prototype. It was open PCB construction mounted on a wooden bookshelf board. Heat sinking was water filled soda cans bolted to the TO-3 xsistors. Ugly, but nice specs. Watching the loudspeaker move in and out slowly gave me the clue that DC coupling to the speaker was a bad idea. Having the voice coil blow up from overheating was the final inspiration to get rid of DC coupling. When it was last worked on, it had big fat caps to the speakers. Anyway, for a short while, it was running directly from the AC line, just to see if it could be done. It worked, but I decided that it was unsellable, so I reverted to a lower voltage transformer infested design.

I once worked on an ultrasonic cleaner driver amp that was essentially an AC/DC design. It passed regulatory compliance testing because everything was double insulated. I suspect the same could be done with home stereo.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

An audiophile is simply someone who takes sound reproduction seriously. I am one. I am not an "audiophool".

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On 12/21/2010 12:19 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

Relax, William; I think we all agree with those statements. (Unless there's some history here of you being labeled an audiophool that I'm not aware of ...)

   who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
   that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I don't take anything seriously, but that's just me. One of my two audiophile customers has a pick-and-place robotic arm running his system, that someone is building for him. It will flip records, change CD's, push buttons, and even move patch cables around. It doesn't do anything better than the current technolgoy, but it's a great conversation piece, which I suspect is the intent. I suspect that most audiophiles do as much show and tell, as they do listening to their systems.

Random fun audiophile photos:

Some really interesting and nifty looking stuff floated to the surface:

I like the PC motherboard with the built in tube sound card.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to