NAD MR-20A to a good home...

About a year ago I reported focus problems with this set. Replacing a few strategically located electrolytics did no good, but the focus suddenly snapped back to normal, and the set worked properly for a few months. However, it went south again, and has never come back. When turned on, the focus is terrible. After it's warmed up a few minutes, the focus becomes (sort-of) acceptable to a /very/ casual viewer doing something else and not much interested in fine visual details (such as captions).

The NAD MR-20A is my workroom TV. I'm employed again, so I bought a 32" Vizio to replace it. I /could/ take the NAD to a nearby electronics-recycling company, but they want money.

So I'd rather give it to someone who collects classic TVs. And the MR-20A * /is/ a classic. When introduced in the early 80s, it got rave reviews (including one from yours truly in "Stereophile"). It was one of the first non-Sony color TVs with a really good picture (arguably better than any Sony of that era) and an array of inputs and controls. the CRT is a Toshiba "FST" (flat, square tube) and early attempt to make a CRT with flat faceplate. It's not perfectly flat, but it's a long way from the obvious curvature of other CRTs.

The set also has sentimental value. I had a technical question (about chroma bandwidth), and NAD referred me to J. Gregory Lefebvre, who had been the project manager. When we spoke, we were instant friends, a friendship that lasted until he passed on in 2005.

It's my opinion that the problem with this set lies with the flyback, which is no longer available. So the set likely cannot easily be restored to its original condition. However, it's in excellent cosmetic condition, missing only the protective pane of glass over the CRT. **

Any /serious/ collector or restorer may have it. I don't have the original shipping carton, so they'll have to pick it up. I live in Renton, outside Seattle.

Please contact me directly. Thank you.

  • The first version was the MR-20. The MR-20A included a few revisions, including one that reduced the visibility of "hanging dots".

** I didn't like reflections from the glass, so I removed it, placing in a plastic bag in the garage. About six years ago I accidentally banged it (not very hard) against some boxes when moving it, and it disintegrated into hundreds of pieces. Greg and I had a good laugh over that. (The mounting clips are intact, so anyone who wants to invest in a replacement sheet my do so. Zero-reflection glass is available, but it's pricey.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck