Montgomery Ward model GEN 12394 14" color TV with intermittent tuner

Hi,

I have a Montgomery Ward model GEN 12394 14" color TV made during August 1983. Recently, it intermittently fails to stay tuned to the selected cable channel. During this intermittence, it appears to switch to either channel 2 or 3 regardless of the selected channel, but all that is visible is a scrambled signal and the audio is fine. When either channel 2 or 3 is selected, it stays on the selected channel and all is well. Most recently, the failure mode is hard.

I realize that this TV not worth much of anything, but it fits nicely in a small cubby-hole in my kitchen and I'd like to try fixing it if doing so is economical. I do have experience repairing other TVs for different failure modes, but I'm not sure that there is a simple fix for this failure mode.

Does anyone have any recommendation? Even if the recommendation is to pitch it because it's not worth it, that would be helpful.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
RosemontCrest

I don't know your particular set. I can give you a theoretical opinion.

I would be looking for any possible cold solder connections inside the tuner, and in the AFT circuit area. Also, check the decoupler caps along the power rails, and also check that the power supply to the tuner and IF sections is stable.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA