Mobility scooter trouble

When switched on it bleeps an error 7 code. I can find nothing technical on line about it at all. It's a Rio 4 (sold under several other names, the onl y other one I can remember being Mercury) with a 'pg drives technology' "s drive" OR "s-drive" controller - for which no search hits.

Clues: the bleeping has been intermittent. Operating the motor disengage sw itch often sorted it, but no longer does. The electric friction brake has b een operating inconsistently.

Checks: testing the connectors that plug into the controller /i consistentl y get a 50 ohm load that can only be the friction brake, so that looks ok. I can't tell how the motor disengage switch is wired up. The back end shoul d come apart for access to motor, brake & disengage switch but it seems to be seized, making access there a mare. I've noticed that it will work once every large number of times.

I don't understand the controller at all, other than it's obviously an H br idge driver. I looked for cracked joints to the termminals, no problem foun d there.

Where can I go from here? I'd check the disengage switch next if I could ge t to it, but I can't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Manufacturers tech support via email/web site?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Never call the manufacturer when you can waste hundreds of hours of other people's time on UseNet.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

7 code might be throttle trip when inserting key on.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I had this fault code on a "TGA Eclipse" , which the manual identified as a speed control fault. When I dismantled the control panel, the loom connector fell off the board connector, it hadn't been clipped in properly and had gradually worked loose. Perhaps the speed control connections were the first to go open circuit or perhaps Code 7 was the first thing the error code software picked up on.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

l online about it at all. It's a Rio 4 (sold under several other names, the only other one I can remember being Mercury) with a 'pg drives technology' "s drive" OR "s-drive" controller - for which no search hits.

e switch often sorted it, but no longer does. The electric friction brake h as been operating inconsistently.

ently get a 50 ohm load that can only be the friction brake, so that looks ok. I can't tell how the motor disengage switch is wired up. The back end s hould come apart for access to motor, brake & disengage switch but it seems to be seized, making access there a mare. I've noticed that it will work o nce every large number of times.

H bridge driver. I looked for cracked joints to the termminals, no problem found there.

d get to it, but I can't.

He can try, but I've found out over the years that manufacturers almost nev er divulge any information.

Early this summer I repaired an AC inverter module for a solar array for an old customer (and he asked nicely). The inverter is an $800 dollar item b ut when I contacted the manufacturer for a schematic, the engineer told me it was "proprietary". I told him AC inverters are not a unique product and all the ICs in the inverter were off the shelf sourced, but it fell on dea f ears. Fortunately, this one was stone dead and using the suggested circui ts from the IC data sheets found on line, I was able to find the problem in a DC-DC circuit.

I would be very surprised if the scooter manufacturer offered anything but a rebate or exchange program.

Reply to
John-Del

:

cal online about it at all. It's a Rio 4 (sold under several other names, t he only other one I can remember being Mercury) with a 'pg drives technolog y' "s drive" OR "s-drive" controller - for which no search hits.

age switch often sorted it, but no longer does. The electric friction brake has been operating inconsistently.

stently get a 50 ohm load that can only be the friction brake, so that look s ok. I can't tell how the motor disengage switch is wired up. The back end should come apart for access to motor, brake & disengage switch but it see ms to be seized, making access there a mare. I've noticed that it will work once every large number of times.

n H bridge driver. I looked for cracked joints to the termminals, no proble m found there.

uld get to it, but I can't.

ever divulge any information.

an old customer (and he asked nicely). The inverter is an $800 dollar item but when I contacted the manufacturer for a schematic, the engineer told m e it was "proprietary". I told him AC inverters are not a unique product a nd all the ICs in the inverter were off the shelf sourced, but it fell on d eaf ears. Fortunately, this one was stone dead and using the suggested circ uits from the IC data sheets found on line, I was able to find the problem in a DC-DC circuit.

t a rebate or exchange program.

Mfrs say go to your local dealer, have them do any work. I suspect they're scared of liability as well as looking to steam what they can out of everyo ne. Local dealer was approached once previously, and they wanted hundreds f

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe that's it, the throttle isn't zeroing right either. I'll go look at that later on. Thanks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's probably a safety check in the startup routine to make sure power can't be applied if the 'throttle' is already open . Forklift trucks ran all sorts of tests like that (using relay logic in the older models) before they would close the main contactor.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Looks like you were right, zero the throttle and it starts ok repeatedly. The end user says thank you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Pleased to hear that was helpful The user manual for the "TGA Eclipse" has a list of fault codes and is available online, so it might be similar enough to your model to be worth downloading.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Not spring loaded to zero? Nice when a solution is found.

Reply to
John-Del