Mitsubishi VCR Upper Drum Removal?

I have a Mitsubishi HS-U500 VCR that I believe the heads have gone bad on.

A friend gave me a non-working HS-U500 and I want to replace the upper drum on mine with the one that was given to me.

I took out the two screws on both drums and neither one will lift off.

Are these things pressed on or something? If so how can I get them off w/o damaging anything?

Reply to
Ron

I don't have the VCR in front of me but are you sure you won't need a soldering iron to remove the head wiring from the cylinder assembly?

--
David Farber
David Farber\'s Service Center

Thanks. I spoke to someone at an electronics repair shop and that is what has to be done.

Reply to
Ron

I hope you realize that after the head is swapped, you will have to do the tracking alignment procedure. You will need a scope, the service procedure from the service manual, and the calibration tapes. If the VCR works properly without the alignment being done, it will be a coincidence.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.

Nope didn't know that. What is there to align / adjust except for maybe the roller guides? Are you telling me that every mass produced VCR is manually adjusted after production?

Reply to
Ron

Yes, they must be calibrated. However if you only swap the upper drum it may work, just go on and try ;) Keep in mind the upper drum in some units can be mounted in two different ways rotating it 180 degrees, but it will work only one way.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

why not just swap the whole deck over complete with good heads? might be more effective if you aren't experienced in setting these things up....