Micro Chopper

So I got my kid (well, OK, I wanted to try it out too) one of these for Christmas. As far as I can tell there are only two motors, one for the main rotor and one for the tail rotor. Yet there are controls for throttle, right and left rotate, and right and left directionality. How can you get that many degrees of freedom from speed controlling only two motors? I get that the throttle controls the main rotor and makes it go up and down and am guessing that the rotate control is some kind of stepper that modulates the speed of the tail rotor. But right and left turns have me stumped.

Any one else have one of these?

--
Nelson
Reply to

Which one have you got. As you say it has a seperate motor for the tail then it's a reasonably advanced one. - the real simpl ones have no tail rotor but have two contra-rotating main rotors instead.

So guessing, I'm assuming it is fixed pitch so will have the following controls

1 - Main Rotor speed - on a collective pitch hello this will also do the rotor pitch 2 - Cyclic (Elevator) - tips main rotor back and forward 3 - Cyclic (Aileron) - tips main rotor left and right 4 - Tail Rotor Speed - moves tail left and right

There will also be a gyroscope which is driving the tail.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

My son has one of these type too (I wont let him near my Nitro Heli )

The pitch of the blades are fixed so the higher the speed of the motor the higher it goes which also provides forward motion. The tail rotor stabilises as in the real thing and bigger heli's and provides turn. Ingenious....

Reply to
f825_633

The left/right turns requires the understanding that, without the tail rotor, the entire craft would spin because of the rotation of the main rotor. The tail rotor counters that. The speed of the tail rotor either over-corrects, resulting in a turn in one direction; or under-corrects, resulting in a turn in the other.

When the speed of the tail rotor exactly balances the craft's natural tendency to spin, the result is straight-ahead flight.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert