Maytag Dryer coils going bad

I have replaced the coils in a Maytag dryer twice. Each time, one of the pair of coils is burned out (I presume). What would be damaging a coil so quickly and why?

The syptom is that the gas will not ignite. When I replace the coil, the gas ignities for a while, but shortly thereafter, it fails to ignite and will not ignite again. I noticed that the damaged coil is very warm when I remove it. The other parts adjacent to it, and the other coil are cool.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Reply to
Larry

You gave no indication of time, so it's hard to say whether the failures were "quick."

If you touch the active part of an igniter while installing it, you can shorten its life.

"A while?"

What "other coil?" How do you identify "damage?"

I have to say, it's hard to figure out what you mean by your description. Perhaps you could be clearer.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Hi!

If this is anything like my Whirlpool dryer...these are not ignitors. They are coils that operate a gas valve solenoid. The ignition is a tube shaped device that glows yellow before the gas eventually lights up.

The original poster does need to provide more information, such as the results of an ohmmeter test on the "bad" coil. I can't imagine what would be opening up the coils, as they are usually pretty well protected and sturdy.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Perhaps they're 24V coils being fed 120V? Both voltages are common, a

24V coil will probably work for a while on 120V but then burn out.
Reply to
James Sweet