Max volume RCA T.V. CTC 187CJ3

RCA TV F32672SB CTC 187CJ3 TV functions normally for days then the volume goes to maximum & no more control with the remote or buttons. Reprogrammed the EEPROM, checked & soldered the tuner. TV worked O.K. on the bench for one week. Brought the TV to the customer. Worked for three days, same problem. Told him to disconnect TV for a while and re-connect. He said he would call me to give results. He didn't call back, now a week since, but I suspect he will. Ever have this problem?

Reply to
Arnold Stewart

Bad tac switches ( contaminated ) or Micro ..

Reply to
kip

the obvious simple thing to look for if it comes back is contamination, moisture, corrosion, etc on the front panel volume control buttons... or even bad solder joints around that area. Also have the customer take the batteries out of the remote control for a few days to make certain that it is not the remote causing the problem. electricitym

- - - - - - - - -

Reply to
sofie

This may seem like a dumb question, but you did have the customers remote controls (all of them) for testing along with the tv set, didn't you?

Aside from the obvious occasional liquid corrosion of the front panel switches, the most common cause of a failure like this that I have seen is worn out remote controls. Problem is most customers only bring in the tv set, not the complete package with all the remote controls they have programmed for the tv set.

Reply to
dkuhajda

The TV set was not accompanied with the remote, but after a couple of days on the bench the set acted up. I was using my own universal remote.

Reply to
Arnold Stewart

Bad tac switches is a very probable cause, even though the customer has stated that he has never used them. Always used the remote. (However,I never asked him how much Windex he used to clean the CRT?)

Reply to
Arnold Stewart

They don't have to be used to get contaminated.

Reply to
kip

Like Kip said, there is many ways to bollix up a tact switches, also heavy smokers do this nicely. I did several this way.

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.