Matamp combo ...

Had one of these Orange clones on the bench today, and the bastard bit me. Hard. A faulty EL34 in the output stage had blown the HT fuse, and left the main smoothing caps fully charged at 630 volts. My own silly fault - I should have checked. But then it occurred to me that 630 v is a stonking lot of voltage to have applied to a panel mount screw-cap 20 mm fuseholder. I checked the specs on a few, and they seem to only carry an AC rating, that being 250 v. There's a lot of difference between the peak value of AC mains, and 630 v DC, and I'm a bit surprised that the insulation stands up to it ok. I suppose it must be ok because these things are quite old now.

I also thought that 630 v on the anode of a modern EL34 is pushing it a bit as well. The data sheets say that the maximum is 800 volts, but I don't know how many of today's offerings I would trust to not be flashing over at that sort of level ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

quote without comment...

William Sommerwerck

Do you remember their "Just when I forgot my (Soldering) gun" electronics pun contest?

I wanted to build this, but couldn't find the parts when I was 10.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The nuvistor was a high-gain, low-noise vacuum tube intended for VHF and UHF. RCA used them in their TVs, dubbing the sets "New Vista".

God, I loved Popular Electronics' schematics. In the past 55 years, I've never seen better symbols. The pictorial is a work of art (reminiscent of Knight Kit).

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Maybe it was in 1971 when I was actually buying the magazine off the news stand, or maybe about 1969 from a back issue I'd been given, but there was a letter to Popular Electronics about how the magazine had changed, no more Carl & Jerry, no more blah, blah, blah and noe more of that soldering gun thing. The magazine replies "some of those things haven't been in the magazine for most of a decade".

I had no idea what the soldering gun thing was about until I got older back issues and actually saw it, and even then, I don't remember seeiing that many installments of it.

Nuvistors came along at about the wrong time. Nice and small, and good noise figure, they were soon wiped out by transistors.

I remember one article reviewing a commercial VHF or UHF converter and they said "I tried it next to my 417 converter, and either that needs a big tuneup or these nuvistors are really good". The 417 being one of the best tubes for a VHF or UHF front end, at least if you didn't want to spend money on a 416 or a parametric amplifier. But the nuvistor apparently gave good noise figure without as much fussing as the 417.

So there was a big wave of nuvistor converters and preamps, and then a few years later, everyone was rushing to transistors (which weren't good to begin with) then JFets and then towards the end of the sixties, people had figure out how to make good low noise transistor preamps that didn't overload as much.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

[...]

AKG put a Nuvistor into the C12a microphone, considered by many to be one of the finest mics ever made. (Subjectively, of course)

Neumann started putting them in the also-considered-one-of-the-finest U47 microphone when they ran out of Telefunken V14 tubes, but many people hated the conversion.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

This is quite interesting, sorry for OT/hijack:

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I have about a dozen, in 6.3 & 13 volt versions. The 6CW4/6DS4 was used in a lot of RCA TV tuners. The 13CW4/13DS4 were used in a crude tone squelch in some 'Sonar' brand business radios. The Tektronix 453 scope used some with industrial part numbers, as well.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Nuvistors weren't microphonic enough for them :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I saw a lot of them in garage door openers, before the could build stable solid state UHF receivers. I repaired them for a friend that owned an 'Overhead Door Company' franchise. The sensitivity of some were amazing. Careful tuning of the RF and tone circuits could give a block and a half range if it was out in the open.

They were drawn mainly for kids and beginners, to give a perspective of the layout used in the prototypes that were built for the articles.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Listen to the depth and spaciousness..." "Yes... and that's just from a single mic!"

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks for posting that link Gareth, it was really interesting. Eric

Reply to
etpm