Magnovox MRD120 Surr Sound Dead

I have a Magnavox MRD120 Surround Sound System that has died after a year of service. It began with intermittant malfunctions relating to power-up and power-down a few months ago. It seemed to be a thermal problem.

The other day, after running the FM receiver function for 24 hours, it powered-down and would not power-up again. When you attempt power-up, either with the remote or power/standby button on from of unit, it acts like it is trying to power-up but shuts back down after 3 - 5 seconds. You can hear a relay latch and unlatch on the power supply board when it does this cycle. During the cycle, the display does not light up and no audio comes out.

I have come to the conclusion that Magnavox/Philips equipment is pretty low quality and that is why they push the extended warranties, (I was too cheap to buy it).

Does anybody have any ideas of where to begin testing to isolate the trouble, or has had the same malfunction?

TOM

--
TomWTexas
Reply to