Lithium batteries not recommended?

The Sony manual says to use the ZR6 oxy-Nickel cells. They have even higher voltage output than the L91s which are closer to

1.4V under load. Most likely the lithiums can't supply closely spaced consecutive high current pulses (hence the manual's "brownout" on pg99).
Reply to
H. Dziardziel

Some cameras need the higher open circuit voltage from alkalines or the camera electronics assumes a weak battery. Quality current NiMh have a tad higher voltage than NiCads except under very heavy load such as found in power tools -- due to the NiMh's higher internal resistance. If the NiMh work by all means use them..

Reply to
H. Dziardziel

Okay, thanks for bring me up to speed on these. I didn't know about them. They appear to just be a different chemistry, still incorporating lithium, which produces a lower potential. Not quite the same thing as "voltage-regulated", but with the same end result.

Not sure what you mean here. The side-by-side packages are 3V. The Energizer .pdf file makes no mention of a regulator, just the different ~1.5V Li/FeS2 chemistry. Or did I miss something else? The PTC is just a current limiter and overtemp device.

-

Jim Adney

I owned an older Olympus Digicam. They had the same warning with their equipment. Their explanation was that the Lithium batteries get too hot during discharge and the higher temps will damage camera components. Heat - that's it. Nothing fancy.

Reply to
Bob Kos