Levitton PR180 IR Occupancy Detector

I bought one of these %*$& devices to switch on and off my laundry room lights. Specifically I bought this model because it is Decora, has a 180 degree sensor and will accept a remote 3-way wall switch via a traveller as a 3-way arrangement. It turns my incandescent load on and off just fine. The problem is the 3-way switch arrangement.

I need the 3-way switch because the room is an "L" shape and one entrance is shadowed.

After talking to Levitton customer service, I now understand that the way it is wired, it detects only a change of state from a three way switch wired with a jumper from common to one pole. (It appears a single pole switch would accomplish the same thing). If you read the schematic, the red sensor lead sees hot or simply floats, changing that state is supposed to trigger the unit to turn on and run (with timer) as if you walked through the sensor. Levitton says to switch the black and yellow leads (Hot and load) if it doesn't trigger from the red lead.

Well after much headscratching, and changing wires all around to reroute the traveller, the hot, the load and the neutral in various different ways to satisfy the "Levitton Triac God", this thing is just plain intermittent.

Any suggestions??

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**