Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

Would require a MAJOR reduction in the birth-rate though, at least initially, in order to avoid over-population. This reminds me of Tim Leary's "SMILE" formula - the three major areas of development for the species over the coming decades should/will be (SM) = Space Migration, (I^2) = Increasing Intelligence, and (LE) = Life Extension. Despite the fact that he was a drugged-out nutter, these seem to me to be quite reasonable objectives.

Cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete Wilcox

one reply got into print

  • The Guardian, * Thursday April 10 2008

Getting the lead out

Thank you for publishing the article on tin whiskers (Within a whisker of failure, April 3). Too much attention has been given to well-meaning people who are pushing the environmental agenda but with very little science behind what they are trying to achieve. Some of the green community captured the public attention and pushed through the no lead on electronics, when there was not sufficient test data available (actually there was a lot of data on US military aircraft). Now we are finding the problems of having a political agenda and not one based on science and facts. Steven Adamson, IMAPS president and Asymtek market manager

N_Cook

Very nicely put by Mr Adamson and, whilst The Guardian is not one of my favourite rags, all credit to them for at least publishing a reply that swims against the tide, and does not tow the government line ... It's good to see some 'alternative' views finally making themselves heard in the public domain !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I grind my teeth a lot at night, and my mercury fillings never rasp found twinkle fertilizer instilled doric plate.

--
"Theoretically, there is nothing that can stop the government from taxing 100%
of income so long as the people get benefits from the government commensurate

"The"???

--
Keith
Reply to

Ok, but that makes Junior the ASS troll.

--
Keith
Reply to

I totally understand, and if things had gone just a little differently in my life, I might have written something very similar to what you did just above.

Aside from appearances, I really don't want to try to convince people. If anything, my motivation for writing on the topic of heavy metal toxicity here is to share my personal experiences, and maybe help others.

The _last_ thing I want is for people to read my posts, and immediately decide, based solely on what I wrote, to go get their mercury fillings removed. Or for that matter, make any huge change in their lifestyle. If that happened, it would _seriously_ disturb me. I do not want to have that much responsibility over anyone else's life. I would very likely decide to stop posting stuff online for at least 2 years, while I tried to figure out what went wrong and how to avoid it ever happening again in the future.

I am not such an expert, and my own story is not compelling enough, that I alone can or should have any effect such as that. But some people might want to look into the subject more, and suspect that some health issue may be related to heavy metals in their body, and carefully explore options.

If you're looking for something like that, then you need to consult an expert on the subject. You might be able to find something through those Wikipedia links I posted yesterday. I was really surprised at how much has happened in this area since I first learned about it.

I don't think I can do better discussing this subject than post the links, as I said in my other post today. If this thread doesn't go any farther for me, I want to at least thank all the people who disagreed with me, even "Archimedes", for pushing me to find the additional information that supports what I had earlier written.

I'm wise enough to know that there is a completely different side to the matter. Someone else can take the position that mercury is safe, and some people have even argued that it has benefits, and supported that position with scientific research. This amazes me, but the bottom line is that if you believe or believe in something, and decide that it is "what's real", it will at least seem real to you, and the darned thing about it is that you'll perceive all sorts of evidence to support your reality. So I try to respect other people in their views (even Archimedes, although that's definitely a challenge).

Peace to everyone,

Jay Ts

--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php

Sorry, I'm new here. But yes, it's quite obvious at this point.

Jay Ts

--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php
Reply to
Jay Ts

Except for the fact that the person that wrote that horseshit is the troll.

All I did was call you stupid.

The truth hurts, eh?

Reply to
The Last Mimsy

On behalf of those that are able to debate a subject on its merits, instead of spewing profanity laced drivel, I would like to thank you for taking the time to detail your experiences. I find them rather interesting reading.

I'm undecided on the amalgam issue, but do recognize that some people are more sensitive to toxins than others. What works for some, may not work for everyone. Congratulations on your recovery.

I blundered across this article on how much of the methyl mercury found in the water supply may come from dentists working with mercury:

One of my customers is manufacturer of dental apparatus and a former dentist. I once asked him for his position on the mercury issue. The answer was something like "total useless". However, when I asked why, I got an interesting answer. At the time, there was a surplus of dentists. The leading dental colleges were controlling admissions. Americans in general were getting better dental care, fewer cavities, and fewer profits. Dental insurance plans were becoming part of employee health insurance plans. Dentists were looking for ways to "fill the dentist chair". He theorized that filling replacement was one expensive way to do that. I tend to agree, having been propositioned by my current dentist. As this procedure is NOT covered by dental insurance plans, the hourly rate can be astronomical.

Recently, hard times have caused many companies to limit employee benefits. Usually the dental insurance is the first to go. The result is that many poorer families do not visit the dentist as often. There is also a large (illegal) immigrant population that generally lacks dental care. This article sorta hints at the problem:

Thanks again.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Is THAT why you wear a different pair of you mommy's stockings every day?

...and you live with stupid!

You couldn't stand the truth, Dimbulb.

--
Keith
Reply to

I quit that radio + phonograph room because they SUCK! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You're an idiot. You're a goddamned idiot.

You're a goddamned idiot.

You wouldn't know... You do not know what the truth is.

Reply to
The Last Mimsy

What is it you don't like about hookers? Too much like true Free Market Capitalism? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

From you, that's a supreme compliment.

Look in the mirror, Dimbulb.

IKYABWAI

--
Keith
Reply to

For street lighting, warehouse lighting, and industrial lighting there is a competing technology: Induction lighting. Typical lamp/bulb life

50,000 to 75,000 hours. Twice the life and better luminous efficacy at a 50% surcharge compared to HID lighting. It is starting to get a lot of notice. Oh, and better electrical efficiency, takes about half the power for the same amount of light.
Reply to
JosephKK

I don't know how much take-up of this technology there has been in the UK. It does beg the question of how much trouble it could cause, if a single streetlamp or warehouse luminaire went 'rogue'. Already, I see fellow hams bleating all the time about HF bands interference problems from rogue CFLs, and SMPS's and PLT and so on. Imagine the potential for interference if a high power streetlight ballast, feeding an induction lamp 50ft up a pole, started radiating on 13 odd megs. Or a factory one 50ft up in the ceiling ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

more printed followup

# The Guardian, # Thursday April 17 2008 Tin woes solder on

Congratulations on the very interesting article on tin whiskers (Within a whisker of failure, April 3). You may be interested to hear of another phenomenon associated with lead-free solders in electronics, known as tin pest. Research was carried out into the allotropy of tin 80 years ago. Tin pest was found to occur by a process of nucleation and growth of "grey" tin (a form found below 13C), and was very slow - often requiring years to complete. Since the transition from "white" to "grey" tin involved a 27% increase in volume, its formation was restricted to the surface. Recently, tin pest has been reported in bulk samples of lead-free solder alloys following a few years' exposure at -18C, the usual freezer temperature.

To date it has not been observed on actual joints. But lead-free interconnections have been in service for a relatively short time. Although we do not know whether it is necessary to shut the stable door, we should make more effort to understand and control tin pest formation. Only time will tell whether it represents a real problem in electronics. Professor Bill Plumbridge Faculty of Technology The Open University

N_Cook

In the US they have to meet FCC radiated and conducted emission standards. Thus the CFLs going rouge probably only statistically meet those standards, such is part of the nature of regulation.

Reply to
JosephKK

They have to meet strict emission regulations here too, which I'm sure for the most part, when in full working order, they do. The problems arise when the crappy little filter caps in the front end of the switching driver for the tubes, go open circuit or high ESR, due no doubt to the unventillated enclosure in the bottom of the lamp, that the electronics sit in, running very hot. Once that cap has failed, the inverter radiates like a bastard, swamping the airways with broadband hash. It's bad enough when one goes rogue like this, 6 foot off the deck in someone's driveway light outside their house. Think what it would be like if one went bad 50 foot up in the air ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily