Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

We 'fools' learnt plenty Don. Which is why most people in the UK don't consider themselves part of Europe, and never will. If you know anything at all about the UK, you will know that we are a free democracy. Free, that is, to be controlled by a government that has now been in too long, and thinks that it is a dictatorship. You may have seen on your news - because from what I've seen on your TV when I've been there, just occasionally, the TV companies do look up on a map wherabouts the UK is, and carry the odd interest piece - that our wonderful leader Brown (are you aware it's not Blair any more ?) has just signed up to a new European Treaty that we had already rejected, along with a couple of other countries. They said it was different, but all they had actually done, was rename it. Despite promising the country a referendum on the original treaty, Brown then reneged on that, contending that it was not the same treaty that they had promised to ask us whether we wanted ...

You just cannot fight that sort of thing, so whilst we learnt, and understand all about it, we have little option now but to be swept along in Euro-hysteria, and comply with all the nonsense self justifying crap that comes across to us from Brussels :-\\

So speaks a British victim ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Apr 3, 7:13=A0pm, exray wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >

Heavens no. I don't fight. I just try to state facts to the best of my knowledge with as little embellishment as I can. I don't know about your soldering tools but we now use only Metcal soldering stations at work besides my personal one at home. Point is a Metcal has a very well defined temperature not likely to vaporize solder - though what tool would?

Tried a very small amount of lead free solder, didn't like how it behaved and then set it aside to keep using leaded solder until I can't get it anymore. The antique stuff I work on has leaded solder so it seems proper to repair it with the same type solder

Oddly, using lead free solder on copper pipe was kind of fun in that the solder had a very well defined melt point that seemed to almost instantly flow. IIRC it was 95% tin, 5% antimony.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Yep. I sorta covered the topic previously:

Is this Ban Really Necessary? A Critical Investigation of the CRT Ban

The actual EPA procedure is not really specific to CRT's.

Here's a summary of the CRT testing procedure and some results:

(See Methodology starting on page 7).

"Once divided, each section was reduced in size as required by EPA SW846 method 1311, the Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure. The TCLP is the test prescribed by the U.S. EPA to determine whether a solid waste is hazardous by the toxicity characteristic. Each division of a tube was tested separately (i.e. the neck, funnel, and faceplate were analyzed individually). A sample of glass, from 200 to 500 grams, was placed in a stainless steel bowl. The glass was covered by a cloth for protection from airborne glass, and manually crushed with a standard hammer. Intermittently, the glass was separated through a

9.5-mm sieve and the remaining large fraction returned to the bowl for further crushing. The remainder of the glass (that not crushed) was saved. For the face and funnel fractions, the remaining material mass was often large (relative to the amount crushed the test). The rest of method 1311 was completed and the leachate was digested and analyzed for lead using SW846 methods 3010A and 7420."

In other words, pulverize the glass and then test for lead leaching into various pH caustics.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Most of the x-rays emitted by CRT's come out the BACK of the tube, not the front. The shadow mask blocks most of them. That's also why there's much more lead in the neck of the CRT, than in the face.

This has a fairly good table of lead content in CRT's.

From page 3: "The average CRT for the time period 1995 to 2000, including televisions and monitors, is an 18.63-inch CRT with a lead content that varies from 2.14 lbs to 2.63 lbs." Note that this was in 2001. It's much less now.

None of the current LCD panel manufacturers use lead in their LCD panels. Yet, the People's Republic of California insists on treating LCD panels (pre-pay recycling fee, hazardous waste, special handling, etc) the same way as CRT's. That's probably because they can't tell the difference between a CRT and and an LCD. Sigh.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry. I meant to say that there's much more lead in the funnel, not the neck.

See Appendix B for the lead content table.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann"

** How so ??

X-rays are generated at the point where maximum electron deceleration occurs - ie as the moment they

  1. Hit the colour phosphors.

  1. Are intercepted and absorbed by the shadow mask while on the way there.

In case 1, x-rays travelling towards the viewer are absorbed only by the face glass.

In case 2, x-rays are generated on the reverse side of the shadow mask and then travel both forward and backwards. Those travelling forwards are absorbed by the face glass.

The face glass is many times thicker than the rest of a CRT's glass - so it contains most of the of lead.

The shadow mask itself is made from very thin alloys sheet ( " invar " or nickel-iron) so will not absorb x-rays to any great extent.

..... Phil

That's also why

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try tin/silver, *no* copper. Nice shiny (sexy looking?) surfaces, easy to solder, have seen no problems in 2 years where circuits get a lot of temperature cycling.

Reply to
Robert Baer

even a

probably

course,

How toxic is LCD liquid crystal though ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Indeed, some experts recommend this, saying that mixing leaded and lead-free in the same joint, reduces the potential integrity of that joint

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

My usual supplier was doing small samples of just about every type that he carried. I'll have a look and see if he still is. What's the melting temperature of that mix, and what's the price like ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That was kinda the way I understood it too, from my old college days, but that was a long time ago ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Absolutely. When repairing old kit use leaded solder.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

d Yep. See the scribbling of the Coolidge Tube at:

Note the x-rays are produced when they hit the metal anode targe (A) and are *REFLECTED* to wherever they need to be going. The same thing happens in a CRT. The accelerated electrons from the filament hit the shadow mask and produce x-rays which are reflected back towards the filament.

Also see comments on x-rays (ionizing radiation) at:

The metal CRT shadow mask is fairly impervious to x-rays. What electrons go through the holes in the shadow mask to light up the phosphor dots, do not produce x-rays.

Most travel backwards (reflected) which is why the funnel of the CRT has much more lead in it than the screen.

See appendix B at:

For a 19" CRT, the amount of lead is: neck 0.027 lbs funnel 2.1 lbs panel 0.5 lbs frit 0.079 lbs

The shadow mask is made from Invar for mechanical stability. The alignment of the electron beam to the phosphor dots (or lines) is critical to maintain proper convergence. The tube gets warm and having the aperature screen drift would be a bad idea.

When I was young (and stupid), I took some sealed Polaroid ASA 3000 speed "film" sheets, attached some coins to the surface, and plastered them all over a late 1960's vintage color TV, where I was working. After running the TV all day, I developed the pictures, and found a noticeable lightening around the coins. (Polaroid "film" is positive exposure, not negative). The shadow wasn't very distinct. The "film" on the front screen was barely exposed, while the "film" near the Hi-V cable was more noticeable. The "film" had to be attached to the CRT to get any kind of exposure. Those on the cabinet showed no shadows. About the only change that this prompted in my lifestyle was to not leave my loaded film camera on top of the TV set.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My memory (which might very well be wrong) was that one of the principal sources of X-rays was the HV rectifier. GE got into trouble over excessive X-radiation from their HV rectifier -- though the tube was situated such that the kids would have had to stick their feet under the set (!!!) to receive any significant dosage.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

All this being obviously true, it is inconceivable that the ROHS thing has been done out of sheer stupidity - noone is that stupid, even though those in high offices routinely want to look that in order to be left alone. I can think of no plausible explanation for this ROHS madness other than a well planned and executed sabotage action agaist the countries which have (and rely on) an electronics industry. At a scale that large, even the most expensive to bribe officials cost peanuts.

Dimiter