Troubleshooting SMPS intermittent - Tips request

Hello. I am attempting to track down an intermittent arc (I think, but not sure). My test equipment instrument has a crt circuit with an 11KV anode and 2.75K screen. Maybe, once every half hour or so, I get a flicker that leads me to believe that the HV is arcing somewhere. I am not totally sure whether this is in the secondary side of the transformer or the switching, primary side.

Here is what I have done so far:

Looked for parts around the HV area that looked like arcing had occurred. Found none.

Checked the screen voltage and found that it was in spec.

Used an insulated tool to 'poke' around the HV area looking for poor solder joints, etc. None found.

I have not looked at the primary side. I need to obtain an isolation transformer first.

Checked for dirt, etc, around the anode which could cause arcing. The SMPS circuit board is VERY clean. I, however, used compressed air to gently blow off any residual dust, etc.

My main question, how can I isolate the problem to either the secondary side of the transformer or the switching primary side? If this is a failing capacitor, It would be nice to know which side of the xfmr this is occurring.

Well, any tips that you can throw my way would be appreciated. Thanks.

-jim WB5KYE

Reply to
Jim Flanagan