lawnmower motor magnet broken

After investigating a scraping noise, I found about 10% of one of the 2 halves of the magnet broken off. Removed and cleaned it up and it runs ok except there seems to be a little vibration. I assume the field is not balanced? What kind of glue/epoxy would work to reattach the magnet?

Reply to
mark

I had a similar failure on a PM motor. The problem was that I could not tolerate much of a gap on the glue line. So, I cleaned both sides of the break with a brass wire brush and alcohol to be sure there was no loose debris. I used high strength epoxy and clamped both halves under as much pressure as possible using two pieces of wood and some glue clamps. Despite all this, I still had to sandpaper the PM motor ends to recover my clearances. 4 years later, it's still running.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Maybe you are confusing cause and effect. Perhaps the vibration caused the magnet breakage.

But to answer your question: Loctite 334 Structural Adhesive, High Performance, is designed as a magnet adhesive. But you probably will have gaps as you glue the broken pieces back in place, so use a good, non-instant epoxy. But recall that like poles repel each other, so the piece you replace will want to jump out. You will have to fixture it properly to keep it in place.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Used Araldite and made a wooden dowel to clamp it - works great!

Thanks

Reply to
mark