LASER Galvo mirror adhesive

Mirrors keep falling off my "Cosmic Storm" Lightshow LASER. Not only the galvanometer X Y scanners beam mirrors but the proximity switch mirrors inside the galvos themselves. I'm thinking of using high impact crazy glue or old NOS radio TV cement 9 (the red stuff)

-Joe NOSPAM

Reply to
Joe

Go to any Automotive Supply store and get their RearView mirror repair Kit !!!

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

DO NOT use Crazy glue.

I'd suggest 2 part Epoxy. 5 minute Epoxy is probably adequate and can be removed more easily than the long cure type, though that's stronger.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Two surface-coat 'impact' adhesive might also be a good bet, as this has very instant 'grab' characteristics when both surfaces are dry and then brought together, but has the added advantage of retaining a degree of flexibility in the bond, which may be helpful where a mass is being thrown about with 'instantaneous' stops. Based on the same thinking, a superior quality silicone rubber compound might also work well.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

agreed,the silicone in a layer thin enough to capture surface deficencies but not thick enough to allow for flexibility would be optimal.

it bonds to glass easily and is waterproof. and easily cleaned up before it gels.

th only dr wback is 24 hour cure time to full strength where the mirror must be held motionless or it will creep

the

9
Reply to
HapticZ

I'm impressed with polyester glue for lots of general purpose use where the very highest strength isn't needed. It seems to bond to a larger variety of materials than many. The downside is it takes an hour or so to set enough to hold and 24 to get to full strength. Dunno about brands everywhere but one in the UK is Evostick Serious Glue.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Sam, I tried all including windshield mirror repair kit. Best fix is yes the smallest dab of 5 minute GC epoxy then re-adjust the Galvo brackets. And thanks to all who replied...the LASER is holding in action with the band Green Machine with a 30MW DPS @ 3.6 VDC

-Joe

9

is

in the