Lap top full of roaches.

I just got a lap top full of c*ck roaches. What is the best way to get theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't want to get them started in the house.

Reply to
Dana

Reply to
John T

I hope the porch is far from the house. These things travel very well!

You will have to take the computer completely apart and wash everything down with isopropal alcohal. The cleaning must be thorough to make sure there are no eggs, or extrament hidden.

Make sure every piece has been cleaned. The case and mechanical parts can be cleaned with soap, and water.

After properly drying all the boards, assemble everything back and test.

All the pieces must be properly dried before applying back the power.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Surely no-one is sad enough to report this as abuse.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Geez, doesn't everybody feel safer with Cyber Cop on duty? Get a life JT!

I had a customer leave a CB radio that hadn't been used for years, just wanted it checked & tweeked, that was literally packed to the gills with roaches! About the time I cracked the case a couple made a break across the work bench, and I slammed it shut, took it out in the parking lot with a can of bug spray. How they even survived in there is a mystery! Got it under control well enough to check/tune it up, then sealed it in a plastic bag. Advised the guy to thoughly spray where ever he had the thing in storage...........

Reply to
CRaSH

I once got a TV, and somehow missed the smell before opening it. Killed the few that ran, and got it out to the backyard. High pressure wash with a garden hose for twenty minutes, then let it dry outdoors in private yard for a few days. Called customer and said not worth repair... they said toss it, and it ended up in the trash.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Disassemble it as much as you can then spray with roach killer.

Probably want to leave some of it in there. Put it in a sealed plastic bag and bring it in to a heated room so that the roaches will snack on the roach killer.

As it will be full of roach eggs I would leave it for one or tow incubation cycles to kill the new hatchlings.

I do service for small retail networked computer systems. One of my clients is a pawn shop. Every TV, VCR, computer etc gets a spray of foaming roach killer in it when received right on the counter before it goes into the storage area.

It must work as I have never found a roach in any of the computer equipment I service there.

Find dead ones in used computers that I repair and or reload the OS on before they resale them.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

Yuck, this thread makes me thankful I live in an area that for some reason is devoid of roaches.

Reply to
James Sweet

Heh. I can do one better.

We sold a PSU to a customer, and within a week, he brought the unit in because it went "POP" on him.

We checked the computer out, cleaning out the roach sign in the bottom.

We replaced the PSU, and the new one worked just fine.

At the price of these (we bought a bunch at 15USD each, due to the quantity), we just opened up the one (hell, it's more than 15USD worth of time to get the damn RMA, much less shipping/ handling on one!). A roach had stood up under the input filter, and blown the fuse as it fried B)

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Wade Phillips

read all about them at:

and call a local exterminator they WILL take over your house!!

Reply to
buffalobill

Roaches are worse than radioactivity. My old shop had a strict no-roach policy, meaning no customer would dare bring in an infested machine. If an infected machine slipped past initial front counter evaluation and intake, it was immediately put out in the street and the customer was permanently banned. Don't think the customers are the innocents here, they are always fully aware of their roach problem. Everybody knew our rules.

The risk to your business is simply too great to treat this issue lightly. DH

Reply to
distar97

I had no idea that there WAS such a place!

Reply to
JW

Here in the Seattle area I've never seen a roach, only time I saw one in person was years ago in Hawaii.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nothing compares to a larger unix box with mices, got called when the system shutdown, found a nest with babies, but the mom had chewed where she should not have, way long ago before decent computer rooms............Also found a 3" chicken bone in a keyboard of a large woman, now that's disgusting!

Reply to
James Douglas

This thread reminds me of an interesting historical footnote in computer history. I recall learning that the word 'bug' as in 'this computer is buggy' goes back to one of those early room size computers, (at Harvard, I believe). In that case, it was fully documented that an actual moth got stuck in a relay. But the word bug seems to go back to the days of Edison to describe minor, fixable flaws.

Dennis H.

Reply to
distar97

Add a hard disk to it in a "Raid" array. Or you could always leave it at Joe's apartment.......

Bob

Bob Urz

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:23:55 GMT, James Sweet put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you ever discover what it is about Seattle that keeps them away, stuff it in a spray can and you can hang up your iron.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the garbage can .

Reply to
Ken G.

Reply to
Dana