Kutztown XXXIX

some on ebay are very cheap. Though it's funny what passes for a boombox sometimes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's also that period when you sort of had hybrids, things that were portable like boomboxes (ie they ran off batteries, and they had a handle) but the speakers could be unhitched and moved remotely.

And there was a period when boomboxes were "stereo systems" to some people, not just to be portable but that's what they used at home. The sad thing is even small systems like that were traded in by many, they get rid of something that was somewhat reasonable, and replace it with a docking station for their MP3 players. SO the speakers are relatively small, and it's not like that Advent FM rado from the seventies where Henry Kloss put a good FM radio with a decent external speaker.

But then I remember gettign into an argument not that many years ago with someone because I said I used a used AM/FM stereo receiver and some Minimus 7 speakers as my "computer speakers" and he just knew that you had to use the right thing for the right task. So obviously you have to toss out your good stereo system, or even good boombox, when a new wave comes along like MP3 players and docking stations.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Michael Black wrote: " There's also that period when you sort of had hybrids, things that were portable like boomboxes (ie they ran off batteries, and they had a handle) but the speakers could be unhitched and moved remotely"

Portable AM/FM/SW/cassette/aux systems with hardwired seperable speakers were considered 'boomboxes' or blasters by the vast majority of the population back then, as now. Evolution added CD players, but collectively they were considered just as much a boombox as a solid unit.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 4:41:22 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

Kutztown is a cash venue. Some few vendors take checks from known buyers. I could use a check as I have been a known quantity for 20+ years as an exam ple. Some extremely few full-time vendors take credit cards. However, most of those are selling new goods and/or services.

Sadly, around here the (Canada) geese don't migrate. So, you might be bette r off than you think!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

One of the local ham flearmarkets, claiming to be the largest and probably is, puts on their posters that an ATM is close at hand. So you don't have to load up with loads of bills in case you find something great, you can take out the money as needed.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Thanks, PF and Michael B!

:)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The only quibble is that Kutztown is not, and carefully differentiates itse lf from a hamfest. It is dedicated to vintage equipment, mostly radios, mos tly tube, mostly from the 1950s and before. Keyword being *mostly*. In rece nt years, there has been an increasing amount of audio, with mostly the sam e "mostlies" - but pushing into the 1960s and 70s. A fair smattering of TVs , same parameters. And a fair amount, and increasing number of transistor r adios. But, one will find everything from steam engines to three-wheel Roeb ling lawnmowers on offer over the years.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

I deliberately do not load up on cash to reduce the likelihood that I will add to the clutter in my place. Even so, I have had boat anchors follow me home from both TRW and Foothill/DeAnza.

Reply to
jfeng

Ever see any early 1970s GE portable TV? I am looking for the B&W 15" thin sets, tube chassis, turret tuners...

Thanks,

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Sometimes the deal is just too good to pass up.

We have a local very small hamfest. A fellow showed up with a trailer about the size of those lawn mower services. It had many 'boat anchors' on it. I am not sure how long he had been there,but when I walked by he was saying $ 40 for anything on the trailer. I bought a Johnson Viking ll. He said he did not know anything about the shape of the items. When I got home, I did a few resistance checks and then powered it up. It worked fine in the CW mode, but no AM. Found a bad audio tube and two bad resistors. It now works fine. Wish that I knew more about the equipment of those days and would probably bought a few more things at that price.

Another local ham bought some old receiver from him and it seems to work very well for its type and age.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, but for any of these things, knowing that there's an ATM handy is pretty useful. I don't want to take out a lot of cash, but what happens if something is there that I am willing to spend money on? Having a bank machine handy, and knowing in advance that it's there, solves the problem of most of the vendors only taking cash.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Oddly, I was thinking about having too much cash around if I didn't find anything. For most visits to hamfests, I can get by with just a little cash, the things I"m interested in won't be expensive. But there's always the chance that something I would like would appear, something I'd be willing to spend some money on. I'd hate to miss some "find" because I had no way of paying the seller.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Something similar to that happened to me. I had plenty of money to buy an item of around $ 1000 I was looking for. Found the item for somewhat less. However I had forgotten to take the money with me and it was about a 2 hour drive each way. Had to pass that one up. No way could he take a credit card..

I did find the item about a month later at another hamfest.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Can't guarantee there will be one there this year - but there are always a few dozen (at least) TVs ranging from water-lens very early units through Predictas. And parts, sometimes CRTs.

Go to the radio venue and post a "Wanted at Kutztown". You might get lucky.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

l add to the clutter in my place. Even so, I have had boat anchors follow me home from both TRW and Foothill/DeAnza.

I bring enough cash to cover basic needs - food, soda, beer, etc. And I bri ng my culls and duplicates to sell. Not many, but a few. What I generate fr om selling becomes the source for 'things new'. It is a dead-certain fact t hat there is nothing I *need*, and I try to operate with that in mind. Not always successfully, I might add.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

The Show Venue is Renningers Antique and Farmers' Market on Noble Street. T here is an ATM on-site, as well as a number nearby.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

There were, perhaps, 15+ boom boxes that I saw more-or-less equally distributed through both pavilions, from a very nice looking, quite large Grundig to a "Sonic" approximately the size of a modern aircraft carrier.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

And how many of the "antique" radios in comparison?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

At least thousands - and as we are now in 2018, some few of the homebrew ba ttery sets are at the magic 100-year mark this year, with some of the comm ercially produced radios reaching that mark next year.

There were two coherers on offer, thy also make that grade.

But, on the range between, say.... 1919 and 1963, at least thousands. Lewie had over 60 radios on his table alone, and he was one of roughly 200 deale rs in all. I write 'roughly' as some dealers share tables - the guy who sel ls reproduction dial covers shares with the guy that produces (yes, produce s) reproduction grille cloth, radio pointers (including Zenith Zs) and fast eners (those little brass flower-head nails and screws). As one of several examples. For those who have been there, the show covered 4/5ths of the sec ond pavilion, and that pavilion is now entirely sold out for the spring sho w. Despite the marginal weather (damp and cool, but no activities cancelled or shortened), things were very busy right up until closing - about 2:00 p m Saturday.

Note: One seller even had a stock of various-sized D-springs for wooden fri ction-fit knobs. Go figure.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA