Klipsch KSW10 transformer

I need a replacement power transformer for this unit. The numbers on the transformer are 042-010078-000. Underneath this is ELY 0241. It also has a sticker marked H.P. Two blue input wires, center tapped outputs, outer two yellow, inner one white. Outputs measure 1.5 ohms to center, both sides, and 3.0 ohms outer. Input side is open. Can anyone recommend a source? Klipsch will not talk to me, as I'm not an authorized repair center, just a home guy fixing his own stuff. It was given to me free, and I'd like to fix it. It doesn't appear to be cooked, as the lacquer is not burnt, and no burnt smell.

--
Steve Walker
fusion640@verizonwallet.net (remove wallet to reply)

The only source for Klipsch parts is from them. They have a technical support service. I don't know their policy, if you will have to send the unit to them, or they may sell you the part directly.

JANA _____

-- Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@verizonwallet.net (remove wallet to reply)

Reply to
JANA

Steve Walker wrote in news:xZLKg.1446$xh4.679 @trnddc04:

the

has

outer

Apparently the primary winding has opened up. This is a bit strange for a quality product like Klipsch. Time to investigate and see if it's something simple, like a disconnected wire.

Remove it from wherever it's mounted (if you haven't already) and examine it. Figure out how it was assembled and start dis-assembling it, particularly the primary winding.

Can you find a break in the connections to the primary winding? Has a wire come loose from a terminal? If so, solder it back together.

Can you unwind the primary winding? If it's easy to unwind it, do it! Count the turns as you unwind them, measure the length of the wire, and figure out what size wire is used. Buy some new wire and re-wind the primary.

If the secondary winding interferes with unwinding the primary, consider unwinding the secondary first.

Transformer is useless as it is, so why not have a learning experience with it?

Reply to
Jim Land

Man, that's a change from when Paul was running things. I once blew out the 15" woofer in a K-horn -- my fault (a transistor shorted in the amplifier, which was my own design). I wrote Klipsch, asking about the cost of a replacement. Paul sent me a new one along with a note saying "The woofers in Klipschorns should not fail".

The most likely place for a transformer winding to fail is where the winding wire connects to the external leads. You might try *gently* removing layers of paper from the thing to expose the joints. you may be able to find the break.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

After unwrapping a few layers of paper,plastic & wax/lacquer, I found a little square black device about .200 x .250 x .050 thick. I don't have a strong enough magnifying glass to read it, but in is in series with one of the input lines, and it is open. I'm guessing some type of thermal limiting fuse. Bypassin it shows the primary winding to be good. As a matter of fact, a few days ago I took apart a cheap 3 speed fan, which had a similar device stuck to the windings, and it was also open. Anyhow, until I get a stronger magnifying glass, what is it?

--
Steve Walker
fusion640@verizonwallet.net (remove wallet to reply)
Reply to
Steve Walker

Thermal fuse or thermal overload?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

generally there is no need to get power transformers from the original mfr, as theyre normally generic items. You'd need to know voltage and power / VA specs to get a replacement.

Rewinding works but is a hell of a job, not something I'd ever consider today. Once was quite enough.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I used to get fan motors rewound for $6.75 each. Man, I am old.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I've found the exact manufacturer. It's made by Thermtrol. The exact picture showed up when I searched for it on their home page. It's a one shot device, set to open at 127 degrees C. I requested one as a free sample. Hopefully I'll get it.

--
Steve Walker
fusion640@verizonwallet.net (remove wallet to reply)
Reply to
Steve Walker

I've bought them at Radio Shack.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

isw wrote in news:isw-3B90CE.20462104092006 @comcast.dca.giganews.com:

one

From the Radio Shack website:

128°C (262.4°F) Thermal Protector Fuses Catalog #: 270-1322 Price: $1.49
Reply to
Jim Land

Some transformers use to have a fuse embedded in the primary winding. This was usually visible as a big lump near the outside of the winding. If you can't get a response from Klipsch try talking to an authorized repair center/dealer. Some won't want to talk to you either or want you to bring the unit in, but you might find one who would sell you a replacement OR look at the schematic and tell you what the secondary voltage is so you could get a generic replacement. Good luck

Reply to
tomh