Transformer replacement

Can I use 12V, 2amp centre tapped transformer in place of a 24V/2amp. I will not use the tapped wire, so I'll get 24volts across its two ends.

TIA

Reply to
Jack// ani

Nope. The center tap provides a voltage tap halfway between the two legs, like this (view in fixed font or Notepad): ` 12VCT Secondary Transformer ` o-----. ,--------o12VAC ` )|( `Primary )|( ` ) ,--------o 6VAC ` 120VAC )|( ` )|( ` o-----' '--------o 0VAC ` created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta

Can't get there (24VAC) from here (12VAC). Whether you use the center tap or not, you've only got 12VAC. Sorry.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

12*2=24Watt

24*2=48Watt

You cannot use a 24 Watt transformer in place of a 48 Watt transformer, unless you know it will not have to deliver more than 24 Watt.

Many transformers are made in a way which makes it possible to split the winding. Look at the middle contact point in the secondary winding above, the point marked 6VAC, look at the same point on the realworld transformer. It is often a sling of copper wire coming out of the winding, and is soldered to a post.

Desolder it from the post, cut the sling in the middle, connect the two wires to two separate contacts.

Now you have separated the two 6 Volt windings. The wire is covered with enamel, so they are isolated from each other even if it may not look right. Test with a resistance meter that there is no contact between the two.

--
 Roger J.
Reply to

The "advertised" secondary voltage of a transformer is normally the full voltage developed across its secondary, ignoring any taps, so you will only get 12 volts from the 12 volt transformer.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca