KLH21 - Looking for a transistor sub

Hi, I'm looking for the elusive audio driver transistor in the KLH 21- series radios. It is house marked as KLH5351. Early 70s.

Any help would be appreciated. The normal sources are turning up dry.

TIA, Bill

Reply to
exray

Do you have access to the NTE catalog? (I think it's available on line.) If you have the patience, you might be able to find a useable substitute by studying the descriptions, looking for voltage/current specs and uses.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Bill,

What case is it in, a TO-220 (plastic case with a metal tab) which means your radio is likely to be a 21-II, or a TO-1, a small metal cylinder?(as used in the original, white grill clothed radios) In this case I'm assuming the output transistors, not the drivers. If I'm wrong about that and you do mean a driver transistor, please let us know the case style and (if known) polarity.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Hi Tim, Its the driver transistor, Q5 in the schematic. PNP, TO-92 style plastic case.

Tnx, Bill

Reply to
exray

It's not listed in the 1985 ECG index (ECG212M). There are a few KLH parts listed but not that one.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FWIW, 1996 ECG has a KLH5353 = ECG197: PNP -Si, AF Pwr Output Vcbo = 90 V Vceo = 80 V Vebo = 5 V Ic = 7 A Pd = 50 W f sub t = 0.8 MHz min h sub FE = 20 min case: TO-220

Michael

Reply to
msg

Yep, thats one of the output transistors for the same model. Its even in my old 1973 SK book :) The other half of that complimentary pair is the 5352.

Reply to
exray

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:10:38 -0800 (PST), exray put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, the NTE196/ECG196 is the complement to the NTE197/ECG197:

So KLH5352 must be equivalent to NTE196.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Bill,

Your radio is a KLH-21-II

I worked on 2 of these last year, one of mine and a friends. I've just opened mine, and its NOT the one that I replaced the driver transistor on. However, it is a Motorola PNP bi-polar transistor in a TO-92 package. No reason not to use another Motorola device, like the 2N5400:

PNP To-92

120V(CEO) 600 ma 625mW 40-180 beta same pin out really inexpensive and readily available.

If you feel really uncomfortable about this substitute, I can ask my friend to take his apart and see what we used it it.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Actually mine is the 21 AM/FM but apparently this Q5 is the same according to the older SAMS info vs what is in the radio. If it wouldn't be too much trouble I really would appreciate some confirmation on what actually worked. I've got to do this via mail order and would like to get it right the first time. :)

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
exray

That's useful info. KLH was a US company, either RCA or Motorola would be likely transistor suppliers. ECG 196/197 crossrefs to the 2N6292 and 2N6107. So with those as the final, the driver would likely be 80V, 250 mA rated... like MPS6717 (NPN) and MPS6729 (PNP)

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks folks, I think one of the s.e.r fans is bailing me out of my dilemma via email. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice.

-Bill

Reply to
exray