Kill A Watt P4400 on sale

I live by myself, have a constantly running computer, and pay around $25 a month, which I consider too much. I wonder if you're wasting energy and aren't aware of it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Jesus! I live by myself too, and pay 75 POUNDS a month! Although this flat doesn't have gas, so all hot water is electrically heated.

Martin

Reply to
Fleetie

Seems like a big difference. Maybe my rates are higher. My mom lives by herself and at 81 is very frugal with everything and her bill is about 40/mo.

Here is my current month's breakdown. I did run the air for a week or so of hot weather in the high 80s to low 90s.

Generation Service $34.42 Transmission Service 6.53 Distribution Service 25.73 Customer Charge 3.82

Reply to
Meat Plow

We don't have a "distribution charge". I pay around 10 cents/kWh.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If I read the bill correct, the above reflects usage of 741kwh from

7/25 to 8/27. 741/70.5 = 0.1058 or 10.5 cents per kwh.

In April for instance my usage was only around 460 kwh but in July and August weather was such that I needed some air, and dehumidifier in the basement. I do have an attic fan that runs 14 hours a day when it hits 80 outside. It's a whole house ventilator with maybe an 1/8 HP motor on it. So really it just all adds up.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How do you guys get power so cheaply?

Here's my (recent; a few days ago) analysis of exactly one year's usage from the start of September 2008 to September 2009.

We get two rates: Night is much cheaper than day:

E-On : Electricity readings for the last 1 year exactly:

Day: Night: ---- ------

2 Sep 08 : 29170 83750 1 Sep 09 : 33049 89619 ===== ===== = 3879 5869 kWH / year (365 days) = 10.63 16.08 kWH / day = 323 489 kWH / month
--
Current rates (pence/kWH, including VAT and 6% direct debit discount):

Night:     5.014
High day: 26.205 (first 900 units/year, i.e. the first 75 units/month)
Low  day: 12.663

So, amounts in pounds per month at the various rates:

High day : 19.65 (75 units)
Low day  : 31.40 (323-75=248 units)
Night    : 24.52 (489 units)
         -------
           75.57 / month averaged over last 1 year

Martin
Reply to
Fleetie

No need to apologize. Most of us were (are?) socially challenged.

l. If you had a bad experience, you probably tried to forget it. I think we were in the same section (does Math 1.5 ring a bell?) with Bob Leighton as our TA for Physics 1.

Reply to
CaltechPhD

I live in the Pacific Northwest. It rarely gets extremely hot or extremely cold. When it does, I just tough it out for a few days.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I certainly remember Bob Leighton. My mother met him and hated him.

By the way, do you know James Boyk, your pianist-in-residence? He's an acquaintance. Several years ago I refurbished a KLH Model 11 portable phonograph for him, which was a Christmas gift for his son. If you run into him, tell him that we attended Caltech at the same -- only I didn't graduate. (I later graduated FSU.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Not my fault, I was only 13 at that time! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

I try to tough it out but when it hits 90 inside and 70% humidity it's just too sticky to function.

Reply to
Meat Plow

for

The difference is that William isn't (I assume) making a profit out of the products he's posted about, while those Chinese shitheads are. Also, he posted about something that's actually relevant & useful to many people in this group.

The thing is that the Chinese (etc) spammers don't actually read the group - they just shotgun as many as possible - so there's no point telling them to piss off anyway.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

sale for

r.

FYI Fry's 9-25-09 for 7 days you can have the Kill-A-Watt for $14.99

so

ta delenda est

Reply to
stratus46