JVC XR-330V - receiver preset memory lost

I understand that there may be a faulty capacitor causing preset stations to be lost when the unit is powered down. Can anyone point me to where on the board I should be looking? Also, if someone has a manual they can email that would be great. Someone tossed this receiver, but it works fine except for the preset and the bulb that illuminates the radio display. TIA

Reply to
GeorgeS

Usually, if a receiver's station memory is capacitor backed, it is a "GoldCap" type that you are looking for. They are normally located up with the system control / display processor on the front panel pcb. Most are green, and short and fat rather than tall and thin. They are about the size of a dime if you are american, or a 5p piece if you are UK. Probably about a quarter inch tall. They actually look like a little coin cell stack, except both legs come from the underneath. The value stamped on them will be typically 0.5 to 1F at 5.5v. Make sure that it does say something like this on it, as sometimes, backup really is with a tiny NiCad battery cell stack, which looks very like a GoldCap at first glance. If you Google GoldCap or "backup cap" I'm sure you will find a picture somewhere to point you in the right direction.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily