Jazzy Select Mobility Chair magical repair

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jazzy Select was driven into a hole and then it just quit. Controls light up but will not go. Wheels locked up. Could not push. Yes, the release was thrown on both wheels to allow easy pushing.

Circuit breaker on the front to the Jazzy was not popped but tried to reset anyway, several times.

Jazzy Select was loaded on a furniture dolly and given a good shake on the asphalt road while getting it home.

When home, the wheels turned freely and was easy to push.

What happened here ?

Engaged the wheels but the electronics on the arm rest throws a 9 blink error code. Means a bad connection to a motor.

Let it sit a few days while I researched and found nothing helpful.

Opened the Jazzy, disconnected the batteries and pulled the controller box so as to get access to the tight connectors. One to the control stick on the arm rest and two more, one for each motor.

I inspected the connectors, both sides and found absolutely nothing wrong. Clean and almost like new.

Plugged it all back together and, the darn thing started working. Seems to be normal operation.

Any idea what might have happened and what fixed it ? Just re-engaging the connectors ? Maybe ?

Reply to
Freeple

As it happened during violent action, (driven into a hole) and you got a bad connection error code I'd say the bump caused a bad connection that was fixed when you disassembled and reassembled the unit. It has happened to all technicians, take it apart, put it together and it works. It's working, you can't trouble shoot it. If you are a repair shop, the question is, do you charge high expecting you will get it back and have to repair it free. Or charge a low fee and then have the customer pissed that they have to pay twice for the same repair. Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

** How true.

** Give it a long soak test AND a long no use test too.

If all is still OK, bill for couple of hours.

** Or nothing - if you explain things to the customer and they get it.

The PROBLEM is that customers regularly fail to understand that ALL defects with their equipment BELONG to them !!!

Ownership does not change when they present the item for repair.

Same goes for anyone offering to help someone, like Doctors and Lawyers. Neither if these guarantee to fix your health or legal issues - all they need do is make a reasonable effort.

You pay for their time regardless of the outcome.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Which model? There are four models that fit your truncated description:

Some chairs and scooters have tilt sensors to disconnect and lock the motors if the chair is in danger of toppling. The newest models will go up or down and incline as much as 15 degrees from vertical, and about 10 degrees to the sides before killing the motor. The user manual recommends 6 degrees (10.5%) maximum slope. The chairs with a very low center of gravity can tilt more before shutting off. Some also include anti-tip wheels and forks.

What I don't know is if your unspecified model Jazzy Select has this feature and exactly how it works. I couldn't find anything definitive in the manuals or on the web.

Did they power it off or disconnect the battery before transporting?

No power to the motors for some reason. Possible loose connection.

Ok, loose connection.

Congratulations. By unplugging the battery, you reset the alarm and the electronics. My guess(tm) is the shock of driving it into a hole set some kind of alarm condition that required either a manual reset or a power disconnect to restore operation. That's why I asked if someone unplugged the battery before transporting.

I would not suggest driving it into another hole to test if it's fixed, but dipping it over (being careful to not dislodge the battery) might be a worthwhile test.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Gopher hole, giant sinkhole, or something else? Just curious and being obnoxious:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

If you go by the philsophy of "don't poke if it ain't broke" then leave as-is. Or go back in, part and re-tension all the female spade connectors

Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England

Reply to
N_Cook

There is a micro switch on some models that will go intermittent that is located by the back axle. We had one that went dead and then started working where this switch was the culprit. The rubber boot doesn't adequately keep crud out of it.

Reply to
Chuck

Very common situation. My kid's car had the "air bag off" light on even with an adult in the passenger seat. Replugged all connectors under the seat, problem went away. Now, it shows NO light for no body in seat, and ON for body in seat. That was yesterday's repair! I've got plenty more of these replug and it just works fine stories.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

With many of the computer controlled devices the first thing is to power them off for about 30 seconds and back on. The second thing is to unplug and replug anything with a connector.

Three is not enough current drawn in many of them to pass even a minor amount of oxidation. That is one reason for most computer connections to be gold plated. The old tin or tin/lead connectors on eairly computers were very bad about that. Usually needed a pencil eraser to be rubbed across the connectors.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery