Is this electrolyte leakage?

Cap at top center:

Or just marking? The red stuff seems to have substance to it (more than just ink)...

No bulging, or leakage elsewhere.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

just

Looks like QC marked it with a grease pencil. Only they know what it means.

Reply to
JB

Yeah, that'd be my guess too, FWIW. The cap looks fine. What's the ESR like?

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

In my opinion, I would have said no, not any kind of leakage

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

just

Could there have been some foam/packing material stuck to it ? I've seen red glue used for that purpose.

N_Cook

It'll leak from the bottom first onto the PCB and the top will eventually bulge or split.

So, no.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

If it's pushed the crimp open the substrate certainly had to expand. Does this cause a significant problem? Depends on if the cap has a high ESR.

That 'red stuff' may or may not have originated from inside.Having torn apart many electrolytics and blowing them up by accident and on purpose I can't remember one spewing bright red stuff.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Me neither. It's usually yellow or yucky off-white.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Ditto. IMO, it's red marker from the factory.